Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most people would call this setup "Stage1", but since you can mix and match discs and plates, i won't do that....

anyways, this was a great setup. a little tougher in traffic w/ the stiffer plate compared to stock, but it gripped really good :nod i'd be able to launch at 5k rpm and not get as much clutch slippage and all the power went down quicker.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i hate my act stage 1, it worked ok for a week or 2, then it began to weaken. it wont even chirp 2nd anymore, i used to chirp 3rd with the old setup. i just dont like it, id give mine a 2/5

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you must not be driving right or don't have the settings correct and burned the clutch prematurely....w/ my setup, i was able to chirp 3rd all day long up until i sold the car (almost 2 years w/ that clutch).

·
Registered
466 Posts
PreludeKing1995 said:
i hate my act stage 1, it worked ok for a week or 2, then it began to weaken. it wont even chirp 2nd anymore, i used to chirp 3rd with the old setup. i just dont like it, id give mine a 2/5
Umm, did you break it in first? You are supposed to get like 500-600 CITY miles, I believe, before you can start beating on it. I hope that first week or 2 you didn't take it over 4k RPM. I would like to see more reviews on this company because I am thinking about upgrading mine.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Ive had mine for awhile. At first I could cream 4th and chirped even 5th. Now I can still bark 3rd pretty nice.

Had it for a couple of years now. Broke it in properly. Exact same setup. Street Disc and HD Plate. Its a pure dream. Grabs so much better than my clutchmaster. It feels like a honda part, just more sporty.

·
Registered
910 Posts
maybe i got a messed up one, i know how to install and it was done correct, broke it in for over 1000 miles, never took it over like 3500-4000rpm, even after break in never drove it too hard or launched a lot or anything, it just wont grab worth a shit. my old clutch beat it out 10 to 1... but thats just mine, everyone elses seems to work fine

·
Registered
175 Posts
Go to where you bought it from, they should be able to get you some warranty work from ACT if the clutch is defective.

Good luck.

·
Registered
910 Posts
well i ordered it from jhpusa.com they ussualy are pretty good about stuff, but when i bought this i had to chase it around for like 3 days, driving up to 100 miles to get the damn thing at a warehouse... when i got it the box was ripped up and beaten to hell and i figured it would be ok... so i dunno how easy it would be to get them to pay for a new one... ive been using it for almost 6 months now... and another point i forgot is act sends shitty throw out bearings... mine messed up after only 10k miles, ive heard many ppl say the same thing about them, so i had to buy a new oem one with cash out of my pocket, but it actually works better now. clutch still messy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a 6 puck race disk from ACT and the second from the top pressure plate. and it was hard to drive in the city, it kinda chattered and was hard sometimes to drive. But yes the chirped into 4th. I was crazy. i recommend ACT, cheap compared to others also.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
I've had an act "stage 1" kit for my Nissan for about three months now, and it's decent; was a little rough in stop and
go at first, but it still grips better than the stock one, even before it started slipping. I bought a JR racing clutch for the Honda, (clutchmaster's, I think?), about 2 years ago, and I much prefer it, even though city driving's
more of a bitch. They were both installed by the same shop, too, so maybe the JR one's a "stage 3" or something?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just intalled an ACT 6 puck w HD plate n a XACT sreet flywheel this weekend. But I wont put the car back 2gether till 2morrow. I let You guys now how it feels. Break in fo 600 miles huh?

·
Registered
343 Posts
It drives kinda harsh. Its like learnin how to drive your car again. The grip is awsome for now as for the break in period, since I got a 6 puck the site said let it slip real hard a couple time n that it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i second that comment, i was in that mentality that the stronger the clutch is the better so i went ahead and got a four puck on my fwd talon, and hell yeah it gripped like a muther but i hated the chatter, even at high speeds it would make my car vibrate, about a year later my clutch was slipping even in fifth when boost would barely show, i couldnt even pass cars at the speed limit, but i always thought "my clutch is undistructable" and blammed it on everything else but the clutch, changed the master cylinder, slave and nothing, i even blammed it on our famous crank walk, till i said fuck it, took down the tranny and sure enough, the four puck ate through the pressure plate and flywheel, only the outter metal edges were making contacts, im surprised the car even moved at all, since then went ahead and bought an act 2100 and i love it, no more shatter, grips good and even my high speed vibrations went away, i did have a throw out bearing go out on my within a couple of weeks but it was because the flywheel step was machined wrong, got that fixed put another throw out bearing in and havent had a problem with my clutch since, i put in a ss braided clutch line to help give me more of a positive feel to the clutch pedal, so act has my thumbs up :tu, i dont recommend any puck clutches for the street, too much of a bitch to drive, but are kick ass on the track for when you do need all that extra holding power, but remember the more holding power you have, yes more power to the ground, but the more trannys your gonna go through, at least in the dsm world

·
Registered
123 Posts
whats the difference between the street and hybrid versions of the act clutch? which would you go with for just regular driving and some weekend racing?

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah what he said, puck clutches are the shit for gripping but suck for daily driving in my opinion, i had a 4 puck before my act and i hated the shatter it had, for daily driving organic disk with a heavier pressure plate, and for straight track puck disk and strongest pressure plate your leg can push in :p

·
Registered
343 Posts
Keep in mind that puting to much pressure on your block from the pressure plase might cause you to blow your crank seal. That why I didnt get the extrem presure plate with the organis disc. I really havent heard of this problems in hondas but I've seen it on 20r's and 22r'sToyota, V8's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts