Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Acura dealer told me that my car, which is equipped with the Acura alarm system, isn't able to get stolen because the alarm system shuts down certain things so that the car won't start when it's broken into. He also said I had some kind of chip in my key and the only way someone could steal my car is if they tow it away. Does Acura really have this feature for the integras, or is this guy trying to bs me to give me a peace of mind? Sorry if this is considered off topic- I thought that since it has to do with the Acura Integra alarm system from Acura, that it would be ok to post here.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tdaccord said:
depends on what year your integra is. meaning, newer hondas have transponders in their keys, and inorder to start your car, you need a specific code to go through the computer to start the car.
I have a 2000 integ (which is in my sig). So my key might have this transponder?

· Registered
1,633 Posts
tdaccord said:
depends on what year your integra is. meaning, newer hondas have transponders in their keys, and inorder to start your car, you need a specific code to go through the computer to start the car.
Really?

I would tell the dealership to put it in writing! Hah! Then tell my ghetto friends to try to steel it! if they are not sucessful then insurance will cover for damages.

However if they are sucessful in stealing my car and driving off with it, the dealer would have to replace my car for free!

Trust me, if a crock wants your car bad enough, they will get it! Unless your car is one of those police trap cars I always see on police shows where they equip the car with things to shut off the motor and lock all the doors until you get arrested!

BTW, if keys were that advance, then how come copies will work?

· Registered
1,633 Posts
tdaccord said:
if you can go to walmart and make 2 dollar copies of your keys, then you don't have the transponder in the key. the only way to make a copy of the coded key is to go to the dealer, and they charge about 60 bucks for a key
If this is true... then why should you be making copies at the dealer for! Its a freaken Monopoly! Your telling me that if I want to make a copy of my key I have to go to the dealer! Thats BS!

· Registered
4,605 Posts
all new hondas come with a theft deterrent system that locks down your engine. you can't hotwire it or anything.. only way is for the code in the key to match with the code in the ignition. or tow away.. that would work too. but i'm sure thieves find a way around it.

· Registered
1,200 Posts
u obviously dont understand the concept of security
if u could go to walmart to make $2 copies of keys with transponders wouldnt that just defeat the whole purpose
what if u had an s500 or soemthing and someone made a copy of ur key and stole ur car
this way u gotta go to the dealer and order keys for urself

· Registered
1,633 Posts
flyracerx said:
all new hondas come with a theft deterrent system that locks down your engine. you can't hotwire it or anything.. only way is for the code in the key to match with the code in the ignition. or tow away.. that would work too. but i'm sure thieves find a way around it.
Like the guys who scope you out and pretend to clean your carpert, but instead runs to the dealer to make a copy of your keys when you are in the shower or out with the women and kids? You talking about that scenario?

· Registered
1,633 Posts
TORONTO PIMP said:
u obviously dont understand the concept of security
if u could go to walmart to make $2 copies of keys with transponders wouldnt that just defeat the whole purpose
what if u had an s500 or soemthing and someone made a copy of ur key and stole ur car
this way u gotta go to the dealer and order keys for urself
I understand the pupose of security, but I don't understand why I have to go the the dealer and pay $60 for a stupid key? For all we know it might just cost them $5 bucks to make the copy. Oh well, I feel sorry for those of you who bought the factory alrm system then.

· Registered
13,201 Posts
I didn't know that Honda ever produced a key with the chip in it. I've copied many different HOnda keys and none had the chip in the key. However my Nissan SE-R does that have chip in it and I could clearly see it.

There's a picture of a chipped key along side an Integra key which doesn't appear to have a chip.

Another picture of the chip obviously standing out since its blue .

Go get those dealership punks and ask them agian...hehe

Good luck,
Jason

· Registered
4,605 Posts
spddmn124 said:
does your key say "ACURA" with white letter??? if it is then you have the chip inside your key, but if it say "ACURA" with red letters then you dont have the chip in your key.
thats not true.. my friend has the A symbol on his key all black and it has a chip in it.

and about the keys.. if you made a copy somewhere else.. the key would be able to open the trunk and probably the doors.. but it wont start the car. you have to go to honda/acura to make a key.. the reason it costs alot is that its precision cut and the transponder isnt exactly "5 dollars"

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I never said that it was a $5 cost for Acura. I'm just making a point that its monopoly since you can't do it anywhere else. Meaning Acura could as well charge you $1000 for the copy and you would probably have to do it even if it only costed them less to make make the copy.

So what happens if I lose my acura key? What them, I'm force to change my ignition keyhole just because of that? I know a blacksmith can replace a missing key for a working keyhole, but if the key requies it to be chipped, why bother putting the fatory alarm system in the car?

· Registered
297 Posts
sak said:
I never said that it was a $5 cost for Acura. I'm just making a point that its monopoly since you can't do it anywhere else. Meaning Acura could as well charge you $1000 for the copy and you would probably have to do it even if it only costed them less to make make the copy.

So what happens if I lose my acura key? What them, I'm force to change my ignition keyhole just because of that? I know a blacksmith can replace a missing key for a working keyhole, but if the key requies it to be chipped, why bother putting the fatory alarm system in the car?
I don't know about Acura, but the VW chips are coded by VIN. So, I assume all you have to do is tell Acura the VIN (and show proof of ownership) and they can have a new key made for you with the chip.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
sak said:
so what if it's a monopoly? there's a sure fire way around not having to pay the costs that you seem to think are unfair and outrageous......DON'T LOSE YOUR KEY!

· Registered
4,607 Posts
spddmn124 said:
does your key say "ACURA" with white letter??? if it is then you have the chip inside your key, but if it say "ACURA" with red letters then you dont have the chip in your key.
so what if the acura is in pink....is that extra cool:D

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found out that my car does have the immobilizer equipped. However, this system is very easy to bypass- just by cutting two wires... Check out this link to see how someome w/ a 2000 ITR w/the immobilzer equipped got his car jacked.
http://www.didyouknow.cd/info/carsafety.htm

I'm going to get this Powerlock installed ASAP... soon as my car comes back from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.