Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
If it can be done, it probably wouldnt sound great. If youre going to spend 200 on a sub and box, plus however much on an amp... spend the extra 200 and get a nice head unit. You can even get a cheapie for 90 buck and most likely sound better then stock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sirfallsalot243 said:
If it can be done, it probably wouldnt sound great. If youre going to spend 200 on a sub and box, plus however much on an amp... spend the extra 200 and get a nice head unit. You can even get a cheapie for 90 buck and most likely sound better then stock.
actually I am upgrading the subs in my accord, so I was thinking about putting the ones I have now in the civic. I may change the HU in the civic,I don't know yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
haha wtf. It will sound fine, the distortion will be higher using a high-level signal rather than a low-level rca signal, but if you are in-experienced enough to not know how to hook this stuff up, you'll probably never notice it. All you need to do is get an amplifier that will also take a high-level speaker wire input, such as a Kenwood amplifier, or get a Line Output Converter to change your speaker wire to RCAs. Then you can hook up any amplifier you want to your subs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Viz said:
haha wtf. It will sound fine, the distortion will be higher using a high-level signal rather than a low-level rca signal, but if you are in-experienced enough to not know how to hook this stuff up, you'll probably never notice it. All you need to do is get an amplifier that will also take a high-level speaker wire input, such as a Kenwood amplifier, or get a Line Output Converter to change your speaker wire to RCAs. Then you can hook up any amplifier you want to your subs.
I have an amp already but how do I connect it to the HU

·
Registered
908 Posts
Ok you need your remote wire to splice into the usually red wire and you need to plug the RCA jacks into the HU i didnt have these in my stock radio in my LUDE so have fun.. and then it needs to be grounded off right....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prelude92Si said:
Ok you need your remote wire to splice into the usually red wire and you need to plug the RCA jacks into the HU i didnt have these in my stock radio in my LUDE so have fun.. and then it needs to be grounded off right....
I can plug RCA's into the civic stock HU ???

·
Registered
535 Posts
you need to hook up the remote wire to an accessory wire or blade in the fuse box, and you need to get a line-output converter from the autoparts store or stereo store. You hook that up to your rear speaker wires, plug the rcas into it, and then plug the other end into your amp

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Viz said:
you need to hook up the remote wire to an accessory wire or blade in the fuse box, and you need to get a line-output converter from the autoparts store or stereo store. You hook that up to your rear speaker wires, plug the rcas into it, and then plug the other end into your amp
thanks I will try to do it this weekend

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Did you ever get your sub set up? It's easily done. I added a sub to my stock civic with a couple adaptations. I used the NE-7V from http://www.davidnavone.com/ and soldered it to the rear speakers to get the RCA plugs for my amp. For the remote wire, I just stuck it in with the radio fuse under my dash in the fuse box. I think my sub sounds fine running off the stock headunit (I keep it for stealthiness ;)).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KJMagnum said:
Did you ever get your sub set up? It's easily done. I added a sub to my stock civic with a couple adaptations. I used the NE-7V from http://www.davidnavone.com/ and soldered it to the rear speakers to get the RCA plugs for my amp. For the remote wire, I just stuck it in with the radio fuse under my dash in the fuse box. I think my sub sounds fine running off the stock headunit (I keep it for stealthiness ;)).
No I never installed it because my wife didn't want it when she realized how much trunk space it would take up so I am going to sell it either locally or ebay.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
accorddriverc said:
No I never installed it because my wife didn't want it when she realized how much trunk space it would take up so I am going to sell it either locally or ebay.
I understand how she feels. Luckily I dont use my trunk so I dont mind giving up half the space for a sub box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It can be done. You will need to buy a line level converter to change from speaker level to rca. You can tap the signal from your radio, since your going to use the power antenna signal for your remote and then wire the amp as you normally would.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
XKWISIT1 said:
It can be done. You will need to buy a line level converter to change from speaker level to rca. You can tap the signal from your radio, since your going to use the power antenna signal for your remote and then wire the amp as you normally would.
Thanks for your help, but I won't be doing it because my wife doesn't want them taking up her trunk space :rolleyes

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Ack I'm amazed so many people are so quick to say change the headunit. The stock speakers are usually the weakest point. I've heard MANY top class SQ systems using stock deck and a good LOC(like a david navone, I have used the older 774, and was using a 684 in the rex). Getting the stock crap speakers out and putting something decent in with a clean amp then adding a little kick in the trunk is a real nice way to go. I only recently changed the stock deck out of the rex mostly because I was bored and already had the other deck laying around, but there's really no difference in SQ.

If you're just adding subs a quick LOC install will do the trick for you. It'll probably be fairly bass heavy, but if the subs are what you're looking at first that's probably what you're looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how many amps to a stock hu

how many amps can u hook up to a stock head unit, i have a four channel amp and a two channel sub amp from a previous system, i am gettin a 2002 honda accord and like the six disc in dash cd changer, and i would like to keep it in but want it to sound better with the amps, someone please help me

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
94AEMAccord said:
how many amps can u hook up to a stock head unit, i have a four channel amp and a two channel sub amp from a previous system, i am gettin a 2002 honda accord and like the six disc in dash cd changer, and i would like to keep it in but want it to sound better with the amps, someone please help me
You should be able to hook up as many adapters as you need. If you would rather split your RCAs then you can just use one adapter, but I would prefer to keep the signal strong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.