Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I start school in April and it's about a 45-60 minute drive there (all freeway), I'll be there for 6 hours, and then it's 45-60 minutes back home, where I'll then go to work as a pizza delivery driver at nights. So I'll be doing a LOT of driving for a year, so that's my reasoning for asking this lol.

I've done some searching around SHO and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who's ever asked about this lol... My car doesn't have cruise control, and I was wondering how hard would it be to install it and what parts would I need?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: this is for my 94 Civic DX Hatchback (D15b7 A/T)

· Registered
1,174 Posts
No idea on how to install cruise control, luckily my V already has one, but I totally feel the pizza delivery thing. Did that for a long time 'for I changed to main career, and dealt with Flour EVERYWHERE, all over the interior, all over the exterior (somehow) and grease on freaking everything. I hated it, and rakced up 6,000 extra miles in my car from it. Payed $40 a night in gas, and made $60 tips or $150 if i was lucky and that managed to cover the expenses of new tires and oil changes all the freaking time.

As for the cruise control issue, You can rig a device to lock the throttle wire or something, or have a manual clamp or something on the gas pedal. I totally have no idea.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea on how to install cruise control, luckily my V already has one, but I totally feel the pizza delivery thing. Did that for a long time 'for I changed to main career, and dealt with Flour EVERYWHERE, all over the interior, all over the exterior (somehow) and grease on freaking everything. I hated it, and rakced up 6,000 extra miles in my car from it. Payed $40 a night in gas, and made $60 tips or $150 if i was lucky and that managed to cover the expenses of new tires and oil changes all the freaking time.

As for the cruise control issue, You can rig a device to lock the throttle wire or something, or have a manual clamp or something on the gas pedal. I totally have no idea.
lol yeah i've been doing delivery for almost 3 years. I've done probably 90,000 miles since I started. I drove a ford taurus for the first year and it almost wasn't worth it with the cost of gas. But i do pretty good now, my civic saves me so much money. But the cost of maintenance and tires can get pretty high. I do like the job though, you get to be in the fresh air, listen to music, work at your own pace, and tips usually average out to bring in a decent income. I'm definitely no millionaire lol but it pays the bills.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
It payed the bills for a while, and I had to drive about 20 minutes to school and back some nights too.

I liked the job for a while and it definitly did pay the bills, but it wasn't worth it, having a 2002, and wasting all that mileage. I had the newest car out of all the drivers, and the cleanest one as well, so I always felt bad. "I don't have a cd player" or "my car broke down" were common things from the other drivers, also I was the supervisor of the rest of them, which I earned from being able to not take an hour to deliver a pizza in the same shopping center. A lot of my drivers wasted hella time... sometimes I'd take the long way home to listen to a new CD or something, and it was alright. My main complaint was the freaking grease and flour. That drove me crazy. HOW DID FLOUR GET ON THE ROOF OF MY CAR?! after a while I learned to set bags down on the ground, rather than on the hood to open the doors, and laid a big blanket over the backseat to collect flour and grease.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rewire the car, buy a p28 ECU, a EX steering wheel so you have the CC controls on the wheel, a throttle cable for the CC box, basically alot more effort than it is worth
i think the effort might be worth it. i'll be at school from 6am to 12:15, and i'm a night person lol, plus it's about a 45 minute drive there and they set up a lot of speed cameras. i'll be going to school and working full time for a year and i just think having CC will make the commute a lot less stressful.

I already have a p28 ecu from when i did the swap with the sohc zc engine. and i figure i could pick up the rest of the parts i need at a salvage yard for pretty cheap cuz they give me a discount.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where is the wiring for the cruise control?
is it all wired through the steering column into the engine bay or does it wire into like the dashboard wiring harness?

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i love pizza :p i just feel like mcdonalds should have delivery. that would be cool.
lol. a little off topic.

but i totally agree! someone start a petition for mcdonalds delivery.

make it so

· Registered
39,372 Posts
you would probably have to get a helms manual and completely reverse engineer the cc and other wiring diagrams for the ex and compare it to that of the dx and figure out how to integrate it into your car. it would be a lot of effort. i doubt if it has been done before. g/l.

· Registered
621 Posts
why don't you just sell your car and get one with cruise control? i would have headaches just by thinking of the whole installation process.

· Premium Member
6,822 Posts
you would probably have to get a helms manual and completely reverse engineer the cc and other wiring diagrams for the ex and compare it to that of the dx and figure out how to integrate it into your car. it would be a lot of effort. i doubt if it has been done before. g/l.
part of the point i was trying to make, its gonna be alot of work, just not worth it, cruise control is like an early "drive by wire " system, its not something id want to try to add to a car, lots of wiring headaches, as well as parts sourcing...

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
part of the point i was trying to make, its gonna be alot of work, just not worth it, cruise control is like an early "drive by wire " system, its not something id want to try to add to a car, lots of wiring headaches, as well as parts sourcing...
finding the parts wouldn't be that hard, there are a lot of salvage yards near me. but the wiring is really the only thing i was worried about. wiring in these cars can be such a pain lol. but that's why i was asking about this, kinda seeing if anyone else has been down this road.

probably i'll just give up on it and go without it. i don't want to sell my car cuz i love it and i've put a lot of money and work into it. it's my baby :hug

· Registered
39,372 Posts
not only that, but the system should disengage when the brake is pressed or various other driver inputs. if the wiring is not right and the system does not disengage that could potentially be catastrophic.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not only that, but the system should disengage when the brake is pressed or various other driver inputs. if the wiring is not right and the system does not disengage that could potentially be catastrophic.
good point there, i didn't even think about that. i remember long time ago when i first started driving my dad pointed out cruise control and how to use it, and then told me to never use it lol.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i already did - jdm zc sohc vtec. i can officially win a race against a lawnmower now lol.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
al new lawnmowers are mostly electric, that's BS.I don't want a fucing cord to run over when I mow my goddamn lawn! Off subject I know, but I do know what you guys are talking about. Don't worry. Adn you could win against a new lawnmower, granted you sabotage it first...

I still think you should just take a vice-grip with you and attach it to the cable to keep the carb in one position. That woud be the epittamy of ghetto rig.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i could beat a new usdm lawnmower.
but i hear new lawnmowers in japan have vgtec - variable grass-cutting technology

Reactions: Darkness
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.