Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first Honda, as I needed an everyday car to drive to work and run around town. [My GMC 2500HD 4x4 crew cab Duramax is just too damn hungry to be driving 20+ miles to work each day.] So... I ended up with a plain-jane '96 Civic EX with a D16Y8 engine and auto tranny. Just turned 66k miles and in nearly perfect shape. Before I do any performance mods, I want to swap at least the driver's seat. This is the stock, manual seat and I am finding it somewhat uncomfortable, especially as it has no adjustable lumbar support. Can an electric seat from another Civic (or other Honda model) be =easily= swapped in? What about aftermarket seats? I'd like to do some relatively mild (and not too expensive) mods to boost the performance a bit. As I'm a dyed-in-the-wool K&N fan, my first order of business will probably be a replacement filter at least, an FIPK if the advice says so. I'd love to replace the entire exhaust from front to back, but I'm not building a race car here and I don't want the thing to sound like a chainsaw on steroids, either. Are there fairly quiet, but higher performance cats and mufflers? I'm not averse to spending money on good plugs and wires or other ignition components if they'll help in a noticeable way. I have lots more questions, but I'll leave them for later. I appreciate any help you folks can steer my way.

Lyle

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
magnaflow makes very nice catbacks for the civic if you like that deep tone. they make high flow cats too. I've seen GSR leather seats in a civic before, but they may be real expensive if you want to go that route. If I was going to put in another factory honda seat in my car it'd be a GSR leather.

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/product.asp?prodid=1079&catid=99
^that's a very good intake right there for the price, just a recommendation.

http://www.hopupracing.com/exhaustheaders8.html
^ exhaust systems and headers, they have really good prices in my opinion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7949979859&category=33701
^Ebay auction on GSR leather seats

hope this helps :D

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
thermal r&d makes a nice setup for civics, not pissed off bumblebee loud either. also the mugen setup is nice, although im not sure about fitment to a coupe or 4-door, i think it may only be for the hatches....

as far as swapping seats, the only direct swaps i know of are integra-civic, but neither of them have electric seats (at least i not that i know of) hooking up the juice to them might be a PainInTheAss as well...some accords have them, but the seats may be too wide to fit in a civic..

all in all i would do some measuring of seats and clearance before i bought any (if electric is that important to you) but integra-civic is basically straight swap.

but you need to remember that this isn't a 305 v8 like you may be used to... the gains for bolt-ons are substanially decreased on these cars... at least on the butt-dyno :) i would purchase an intake with a k&n cone filter, but just replacing the filter will not show hardly any dramatic, or noticable, improvement... unless you take the resonator off the bottom of the stock airbox, or cut it at the bottom... then you'll have a d-i-y cai...sortof :rolleyes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, IISaiNtII

thermal r&d makes a nice setup for civics, not pissed off bumblebee loud either. also the mugen setup is nice, although im not sure about fitment to a coupe or 4-door, i think it may only be for the hatches....

I'll check these out.

as far as swapping seats, the only direct swaps i know of are integra-civic, but neither of them have electric seats (at least i not that i know of) hooking up the juice to them might be a PainInTheAss as well...some accords have them, but the seats may be too wide to fit in a civic..

all in all i would do some measuring of seats and clearance before i bought any (if electric is that important to you) but integra-civic is basically straight swap.

I didn't know if Honda had a power seat option for the Civic and I could find something from salvage. Either that, or go for after-market seats if they're not too 'spensive. I don't =need= power seats but I really need something adjustable.

but you need to remember that this isn't a 305 v8 like you may be used to... the gains for bolt-ons are substanially decreased on these cars... at least on the butt-dyno i would purchase an intake with a k&n cone filter, but just replacing the filter will not show hardly any dramatic, or noticable, improvement... unless you take the resonator off the bottom of the stock airbox, or cut it at the bottom... then you'll have a d-i-y cai...sortof

Oh, I understand. I'm just looking for a bit more pep for freeway driving, mostly low-end to mid-range pick-up. Hell, if I hit anything above 70 most days, it's because I'm on the far side of the current wreck and haven't caught up to the jam on the other side yet. :) As I said, I'm not building a race car, just want a bit more snap so I don't get run over by the morons who can't keep their speed under control.

Thanks, again, for the tips.
Lyle

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Oh, I understand. I'm just looking for a bit more pep for freeway driving, mostly low-end to mid-range pick-up. Hell, if I hit anything above 70 most days, it's because I'm on the far side of the current wreck and haven't caught up to the jam on the other side yet. :) As I said, I'm not building a race car, just want a bit more snap so I don't get run over by the morons who can't keep their speed under control.
well like i said, you can remove the resonator from the airbox, put a k&n drop-in filter in it, and have just the same effect as any short-ram intake, with what i would say has a better sound, while looking stock. as long as you still have you wheel well pieces (the black plastic on the passenger side anyways) you should be able to do this without worrying about any thing

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I know your want to mod your car to give it more performace, but IMO dont waste the money on modding an automatic it is still going to be slow as hell with any kind of bolt on you put on it.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
with light bolt-ons it will show roughly the same gains as a manual...maybe a couple hp less, but i doubt he's going to go dyno his daily driver all the damn time, like he said in his original post, hes not making a race car.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
with light bolt-ons it will show roughly the same gains as a manual...maybe a couple hp less, but i doubt he's going to go dyno his daily driver all the damn time, like he said in his original post, hes not making a race car.
I never said that.. i just dont think he will notice any gains.. light ones (barely noticeable) if he puts intake and exhuast.. its his daily driver so he lose alittle tourqe with exhaust.. he said he didnt want to spend alot of money either so it would be A WASTE OF MONEY is what i am saying. get an attitude again iisaintii :kick

·
Registered
471 Posts
Is it a sedan, coupe, or hatch? A few practically free mods would be; TB coolant bypass, advancing timing, remove resonator, weight reduction, and clean TB and IM.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i wasnt having a 'tude, i was pointing out the obvious

fuco8210 said:
but IMO dont waste the money on modding an automatic
hmm sound like you think he shouldnt have bought the car.

it is still going to be slow as hell with any kind of bolt on you put on it.
wow really? how many people on this vB have only these two mods and are happy with it? alot.

myself said:
fuco8210 said:
I never said that..
said what? this?
I know your want to mod your car to give it more performace...
but dont do it?
dont waste the money on modding an automatic it is still going to be slow as hell with any kind of bolt on you put on it.
bull shit. turbos are bolt-ons. nitrous is bolt-on. get a clue

thats what this post is about. everyone wants the most bang for thier buck performance part. making the engine breath easier/better is the place to start, otherwise most mods internally are worthless without more air and less restrictive exhaust.

laknox said:
I'd love to replace the entire exhaust from front to back, but I'm not building a race car here and I don't want the thing to sound like a chainsaw on steroids, either
he asked about what exhaust would sound best on his car... not your opinion whether he should get it or not... dont be a dick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IISaiNtII said:
well like i said, you can remove the resonator from the airbox, put a k&n drop-in filter in it, and have just the same effect as any short-ram intake, with what i would say has a better sound, while looking stock. as long as you still have you wheel well pieces (the black plastic on the passenger side anyways) you should be able to do this without worrying about any thing
The funny thing is, K&N doesn't list any filter or kit for the D16Y8 engine, except a Typhoon kit. Not even the flat panel filter (Fram CA7764) crosses. I don't know how much of a fan I am of the cold-air induction intakes. Man, you're putting the filter way close to the road. The fact that there are shields and bypass valves that some companies make (K&N makes you put the dry sock over the filter), leads me to believe that they aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Lyle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
guest said:
Is it a sedan, coupe, or hatch? A few practically free mods would be; TB coolant bypass, advancing timing, remove resonator, weight reduction, and clean TB and IM.
It's an EX Coupe. As a newbie, I don't speak too much Hon-speak, yet. The obvious I get; mind translating the rest? :) Thanks.

Lyle

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
tb=throttle body
im=intake manifold

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IISaiNtII said:
i wasnt having a 'tude, i was pointing out the obvious

hmm sound like you think he shouldnt have bought the car.

wow really? how many people on this vB have only these two mods and are happy with it? alot.

said what? this?
but dont do it? bull shit. turbos are bolt-ons. nitrous is bolt-on. get a clue

thats what this post is about. everyone wants the most bang for thier buck performance part. making the engine breath easier/better is the place to start, otherwise most mods internally are worthless without more air and less restrictive exhaust.

he asked about what exhaust would sound best on his car... not your opinion whether he should get it or not... dont be a dick.
Guys! Keep it friendly. No need to get defensive. Everybody's entitled to their opinion and to share their experiences; I respect that. I also know enough to be able to winnow the good from the bad and smart enough not to take =anybody's= opinion without verification. I know I'm not going to turn this thing into a 10-second rocket, nor do I want to. All I'm looking for is just a bit of friendly advice and "I did this and it that happened (or didn't happen)" type of experience. I've seen enough flame-wars, name calling and 9mm v. .45 arguments in the past 20+ years of living in the computer world to last a lifetime. I appreciate civil, constructive advice =and= constructive criticism. If you've got either, I'm all ears.

Lyle

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
hey i have an automatic too. yeah it sucks but you get used to it. if you are having second thoughts about your transmission choice, get a new car now, before you do too much and you dont want to start over.
but anyway, bolt-ons will give you a slightly noticeable difference, even on an automatic. IMO, u should get yourself a set of pulleys. theyre not too expensive and i noticed a pretty big diff when i got them put on. as for intake and exaust, you wont notice any real gains from that, but it all works together to give you more power. like, a catback by itself, might not give u any noticeable diff, but when it works together with your intake, header, throttle body, etc., it makes a big difference. im sorry, i know i probably did a bad job at explaining this. do a search. somebody once schooled me on this topic a while back and they did a much better job of explaining it.
any aftermarket seat is going to be really expensive bacause theyre all light weight and made for racing applications.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts