Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

ADVICE: help a noob with painting his engine bay

3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  ATISTANG 
#1 ·
i have never stripped/sanded/prepped a car or any automotive piece for that natter for paint.

so, this is my first time doing it. im gonna be painting the engine bay of my mr2 championship white (honda type r color). I need some helpful tips on what to do.

i have a compressor and my cousin has a paint gun set we have yet to use. so itll be tested here soon. but what do i do?

i dont have a air sander but i do have drills. how should i go about prepping they bay. i know i have to sand it down but what steps should i do? what grits do i need? i can always just buy a 5" air sander for $20 or so.

any tips? do i just get in there and start sanding away or what?

also the car is gonna be color matched later down the road ( i hope anyway). so with that said, do i need to primer the engine bay after i sand it? do i need to clear coat it? remember this is an engine bay and it gets hot as fuck with the v6 in there. so do i need to do anything special or what?

any tips/advice would be great.

See less See more
#13 ·
i have never stripped/sanded/prepped a car or any automotive piece for that natter for paint.

so, this is my first time doing it. im gonna be painting the engine bay of my mr2 championship white (honda type r color). I need some helpful tips on what to do.

i have a compressor and my cousin has a paint gun set we have yet to use. so itll be tested here soon. but what do i do?

i dont have a air sander but i do have drills. how should i go about prepping they bay. i know i have to sand it down but what steps should i do? what grits do i need? i can always just buy a 5" air sander for $20 or so.

any tips? do i just get in there and start sanding away or what?
:lmao

also the car is gonna be color matched later down the road ( i hope anyway). so with that said, do i need to primer the engine bay after i sand it? do i need to clear coat it? remember this is an engine bay and it gets hot as fuck with the v6 in there. so do i need to do anything special or what?

any tips/advice would be great
pay somebody who knows what they're doing to paint your car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.