Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These cam gears have been the last straw for me. Im finished with AEM and DC Sports. As far as Im concerned, AEM is on the same par as OBX and Megan. (aka CRAP). This is the second time an AEM part has shit the bed on me, and Ive only ever bought two things from them. The first was a short ram intake, that broke at the support arm, causing a 1"X1" hole in my intake. Heres my beef on the cam gears:

The bolts on these adjustable cam gears as rediculously and stupidly short. When theyre tightened down, they only hold on with about two threads of bite. For me, I discovered two of these bolts had either backed out, or ripped out- because they were gone when I noticed (and they were tightened down. I tightened them, so i know). Had the last bolt backed out, the cam gear would have adjusted, and my pistons would have met my valves. A cam gear is a pretty simple part. A company as big as AEM should be able to make one without fucking it up, and a simple part like this should put my entire build at risk. I spoke to another owner of these cam gears, and he noted a similar experience with one bolt. He replaced all 6 bolts with longer ones and hasnt had a problem. HOWEVER- I shouldnt have to replace parts on something that should be ready to go when I buy it. Having to do so tells me I should be buying my parts from another company. Stay away from AEM's 3 bolt adjustable cam gears.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They dont. I had picked them up on the forums used for $100. I ended up buying a set of Toda cam gears that are 6 bolts, so thats $100 down the drain. Im done with AEM.

·
Registered
109 Posts
kommon_sense said:
The 5 bolt design has been available for several years now. I don't know if AEM even still sells the 3-bolt gears.
There's only one site I saw selling the 3-bolt still, very rare, but they still look cool.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
puredemocracy said:
There's only one site I saw selling the 3-bolt still, very rare, but they still look cool.
The three bolts are still quite common in the classifieds forums. I bought mine used, which is how I ended up with them. You want them? I still got em for sale. :hehe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts