Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

AEM c/a/i install on 6th gen DX or LX, Anyone??

1K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  LX98Civic 
#1 ·
It will be here tommorrow. The guys told me when I ordered and UPS tracking system said so as well :)

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone done this install and maybe have them posted somewhere. Pics would be nice too. It will go a lot smoother knowing exactly what I have to do to get it in.....

I do have my Helms manual that will tell me how to remove the stock air box :eek:

#2 ·
check these out, and I hope you appreciate it! :D

and

#5 ·
Re: Re: AEM c/a/i install on 6th gen DX or LX, Anyone??

clique said:

Noooooo!!! :p

Any nice pics like that for an EX? :D
Just for you ;):):D (UPS tracking ;))

PACKAGE PROGRESS
Date Time Location Activity
Mar 5, 2002 12:52 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
Mar 4, 2002 11:37 P.M. ORLANDO, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
8:26 P.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
6:02 P.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US LOCATION SCAN
10:04 A.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
3:59 A.M. COLUMBIA, SC, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Mar 2, 2002 12:41 A.M. COLUMBIA, SC, US ARRIVAL SCAN
Mar 1, 2002 8:35 P.M. WINSTON SALEM-SOUTH, NC, US DEPARTURE SCAN
7:30 P.M. WINSTON SALEM-SOUTH, NC, US ORIGIN SCAN
5:17 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

#7 ·
Re: Re: Re: AEM c/a/i install on 6th gen DX or LX, Anyone??

LX98Civic said:

PACKAGE PROGRESS
Date Time Location Activity
Mar 5, 2002 12:52 A.M. ORLANDO, FL, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
Mar 4, 2002 11:37 P.M. ORLANDO, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
8:26 P.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
6:02 P.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US LOCATION SCAN
10:04 A.M. JACKSONVILLE, FL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
3:59 A.M. COLUMBIA, SC, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Mar 2, 2002 12:41 A.M. COLUMBIA, SC, US ARRIVAL SCAN
Mar 1, 2002 8:35 P.M. WINSTON SALEM-SOUTH, NC, US DEPARTURE SCAN
7:30 P.M. WINSTON SALEM-SOUTH, NC, US ORIGIN SCAN
5:17 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
[/B]
I don't even have a tracking number yet :(

#10 ·
I always thought that in the DX and LX you had to cut through the paneling, mainly because neither of these cars come stock with a resonator and that is the normal hole that the AEM CAI goes through. Is this wrong?

#11 ·
Bryan99cvc said:
I always thought that in the DX and LX you had to cut through the paneling, mainly because neither of these cars come stock with a resonator and that is the normal hole that the AEM CAI goes through. Is this wrong?
To the best of my knowledge, I think newer Preludes are the only Hondas that require cutting/any other modification to the body of the car. I could be wrong, though, and I probably am :p

"We have received your payment for the AEM cold-air. Did you have a color preference?"

SCORE!!!!!!! I'm looking at a Thursday or Friday arrival date... AEM CAI BRRRAHHHHHHH, here I come :D

#12 ·
yeah you will definately be cutting if you have a civ. dx. on the lx, you shouldnt. right where the tube goes down into the fender. i had to to it with a dremel rotary tool when i did my ram air setup. good luck if you have to cut.

#13 ·
I got it installed and played a few games of b-ball with my brother right after. Still took me about 2.5 - 3 hours :(

I know if I had to do it again, I bet it would be like 1.5 hours.

That is the same way clearing my headlights went. First time, took me and my dad 4 hours. Did some last week and barely even 3 hours :p

I didn't have to cut anything. The AEM instructions said to take the wheel and fender liner out. Instead I went the bumper route and didn't really have any problems. The only difficult parts were:

1) Tightening the filter onto the end of the intake when it was already in. I had to lay on the ground and go through the wheel spoke and my brother lined the long screw driver up on the clamp.
--- That can be resolved by putting the filter on the piping before
installing the last pipe. **Unless the filter will not fit through
the opening of the engine.

2) The long water hose (16") was a bitch too :mad: Was very
hard to get onto at the one end where the throttle body is.

Other than that a piece of cake.

#14 ·
A couple other things that I was pissed about:

1) The AEM sticker that is near the throttle body is facing more towards the windshield and not toward the front of the car (f**kin moron put it on)

2) There is a tiny dent in the piping near the throttle body :mad:
You can't see it now that it's installed but kind of pissed me off when I first noticed it.

..and still haven't found my keys :mad:

#15 ·
CiViC2000 said:
yeah you will definately be cutting if you have a civ. dx. on the lx, you shouldnt. right where the tube goes down into the fender. i had to to it with a dremel rotary tool when i did my ram air setup. good luck if you have to cut.
Not true...If you have the correct intake for a 2000 Civic DX, you do not have to cut...Its the same as the pictures of the BLUE AEM at the top of this post.

That is the whole purpose of AEM designing these intakes, direct replacement for the stock intake.

1fast2dr

#16 ·
Now that I look at the pics above I can see exactly what you mean by trouble spots :p

Before I forget: They put your AEM sticker in the same place as mine :( WHY? WHY I ask??? F**kin moron needs to be fired!!

Anyhow, back to what I was saying...

Where you replace the line that is 16" (one with the antifreeze) that bitch gave me a hard time!! I had it going up top like you do in the pic, but went back underneath the fuel rail like the stock ran. I just went under the middle wire that is located behind the "O" and "N" of "HONDA". This was the only way to keep it off the valve cover. BUT, underneath there is a metal coil that I am praying does not get HOT, since the 16" water hose is resting on it.

And another problem I ran into is where the intake is held into the frame of the car. I had to take that clip out of it's holder to get the black rubber spacer into the existing hole. But, I just tucked it underneath as you did :)

Other than that, pretty simple install. I somehow managed to cut myself twice on the hands and got quite dirty too :p

#17 ·
did you remember to reset your ecu? it helps :D a lot!

#18 ·
But how's the performance?! Come on, we want details!!! :D Did you run down any old women in Cadillacs?!

Congrats on a successful install, anyhow :) I got nice and greasy and cut just TRYING to clear my headlights, so I better wear some seriously shitty clothes when I install my CAI (which was shipped today, with a UPS tracking number ;) )

#19 ·
RichyRichaPC said:
did you remember to reset your ecu? it helps :D a lot!
How do I do that? $hit, no one mentioned this :rolleyes:

Please let me know before I drive an hour to and from work in the morning :(

I went down the street and came back flooring it for a sec. My brother said =====> "it's growling"

It's hard to hear (from the inside) with the exhaust though :(

#21 ·
clique said:
Simple! Unplug negative connect to battery for a minute, reconnect it, start car, idle it for 10 minutes (WITHOUT touching the gas of course,) turn car off, turn car back on... it's reset :)
its easier to go to the main fuse box, its in the upper left corner and take out the fuse that says back up 7.5 volt and then put it back in and then just do what he says, let it warm up for 10 minutes and yadda yadda

#22 ·
clique said:
Simple! Unplug negative connect to battery for a minute, reconnect it, start car, idle it for 10 minutes (WITHOUT touching the gas of course,) turn car off, turn car back on... it's reset :)
1) Unplug negative terminal for 1 minute

2) Reconnect negative terminal

3) Start car and let idle 10 minutes (w/o touching acclerator)

4) Turn car off

5) Turn car back on .....it's reset!

What's up with the idle for 10 minutes :confused: Why not 5 or until the engine is at normal driving temp (about 5 minutes) :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.