Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a aem cai on my 99 gsr but i need to replace the stock aem air filter for its pretty messed up..how do i know exactly which sizing k&n filter i need? i believe the aem is 2.5 inch in diamter? so would i go for a k&n filter with a diamter of 3inch to go over that and st rict it on? or what.basically what do i look for to replace the stock one .thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
if the diameter of the tube is 2.5'', you need to get the filter that is 2.5''.
3'' will be too big.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I think the GS-R AEM piping is 2.75". Just measure to be sure. You just want a filter that's about the same size, and that will fit over the piping snugly, not loosely. Get one the same size as your current one!

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
im looking for a k&n filter too but i never have time to look for a ruler and measure it. but does it really give u more power compared to the other throw away APC filters?

when buying the filters your suppose to meaure the diameter or the tube or the hole on the filter?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
They have been dyno-proven to pick up about 1-3whp over the stock paper filter.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
White98LS said:
They have been dyno-proven to pick up about 1-3whp over the stock paper filter.
is the cone ones any different from the APC ones that everyone has?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I'm not familiar with the APC filters.... I try to avoid anything APC....

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
White98LS said:
I'm not familiar with the APC filters.... I try to avoid anything APC....
you know what i mean thos regular cone filters that everyone has

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yeah but I don't know what kind of material they're made out of, whether they're high-quality or not (doubtful), how free-flowing the material is, etc. Diff. filtering materials and grades can make a substantial difference in how well they flow and filter.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
White98LS said:
Yeah but I don't know what kind of material they're made out of, whether they're high-quality or not (doubtful), how free-flowing the material is, etc. Diff. filtering materials and grades can make a substantial difference in how well they flow and filter.
how are those apex filters. they make alot of money selling them

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I can't tell by their website what the filter element is made from, but a filter alone won't make a whole lot of power by itself anyway. Some, but not a lot.

Basically, paper (like stock) filters the best but offers the least flow. Foam (HKS for example) filters the least but flows the most. Oiled cotton gauze (K&N, standard AEM) offer a compromise between the two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts