Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i've heard good things and bad things about the pulley's i need someone to tell me from experiance about wether or not this is a good add on, some said it fucks with the harmonic balancer (what ever that is) others say it will mess with my alternator, then others say they got a descent gain in HP. I don't know i have them but now i'm afraid to put them in.

any help is appreciated

Thanx,

also i do have a descent size system, not very power hungary but there are three amplifiers, again thanx for any input

·
Registered
813 Posts
harmonic balancer is on your crank pulley, not the ps or alt. you shouldn't really worry about the ps or alt pulleys unless you pushing a big system that likes to eat power from your batt and stuff. otherwise.........get them if you wish. gains are small btw.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
papajazz said:
anyone else that can give me input
I have heard that the unorthodox pulleys are better...Honestly I don't think you'll see a huge gain, but it can't hurt to give them a try. Go to www.aempower.com and read up about them.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
there are actually times when u lose power with new pullies, but its only like 2 or 3 hp...i dont think it makes that much of a difference if u get new ones, unless u like saying u have some...unorthodox is good

·
Registered
340 Posts
sup...i got the aem pulleys...in my opinion they were not worth the money, little gains, if any at all...however they do look damn good. IMO

·
Registered
77 Posts
showgunz said:
Get Unorthodox Racing. No worries with alternators going bad. Plus, there are dyno plots that say they are better than AEM's. And they underdrive less.
Yes, no worries about the alternator with the Unorthodox pullies, just worry about your ENGINE!!! The reason why Unorthodox pullies have better gains is because they replace the Crank Pulley with their set, which will cause major engine wear. Which is also the reason why AEM does not have a Crank Pulley replacement. Read up more on it in the links below.

http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonictech/tet/dualratedamper.html

http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonictech/dinantech/dinan.html

This links below is especially helpful, because the reviewer initially gives a thumps up for the crank pulley. But if you keep reading, he changes his opinion after they had a chance to examine the engine by taking it apart.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/underdrive/pulley.shtml

As for the question if the AEM pullies are worth it, well that depends on the price at which you can get them. Yes, they do give you very, very little gains, but it is right across the whole RPM range and powerband and you can feel it in every day driving. I have them and the first impression I got was that my car felt lighter, kinda like driving my friend's Miata. But when I floor it, it didn't feel like there was any difference, until I use my Gtech to check it, and I gain like 5 HP and a second off my 0-60 time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
A second off your 0-60 time are very, very good gains.

Now the debate on harmonic dampers can only be settled after you take your engine apart. A lot of theory is being thrown around and different car makers have different approaches to the issue.

One thing is clear, though. If you're pushing well over 300 HP (or 4 to 5 times over the stock HP), you'd need some harmonic dampening. But if you just have bolt-on's, they don't do much.

And I don't take just one Prelude engine tear-down to be convinced that the pulleys cause bearing damage.

And there are people on accord v 6 . com that are doing oil analysis to see if they detect higher than normal bearing wear after they put in some miles with the UR pulleys. If you're unsure, wait about a year for the results to give some long-term conclusions. I don't think an oil analysis will give a complete picture, but at least it's one way to detect more debris and gives some signs as to how your engine is wearing down.

If you're worried, just get the accessories pulley kit by UR. They're not underdriven and they give you HP gains by replacing the heavy pulleys with light ones. You wouldn't worry about engine damage with the accessories pullies.

·
Registered
77 Posts
showgunz said:
A second off your 0-60 time are very, very good gains.

Now the debate on harmonic dampers can only be settled after you take your engine apart. A lot of theory is being thrown around and different car makers have different approaches to the issue.

One thing is clear, though. If you're pushing well over 300 HP (or 4 to 5 times over the stock HP), you'd need some harmonic dampening. But if you just have bolt-on's, they don't do much.

And I don't take just one Prelude engine tear-down to be convinced that the pulleys cause bearing damage.

And there are people on accord v 6 . com that are doing oil analysis to see if they detect higher than normal bearing wear after they put in some miles with the UR pulleys. If you're unsure, wait about a year for the results to give some long-term conclusions. I don't think an oil analysis will give a complete picture, but at least it's one way to detect more debris and gives some signs as to how your engine is wearing down.

If you're worried, just get the accessories pulley kit by UR. They're not underdriven and they give you HP gains by replacing the heavy pulleys with light ones. You wouldn't worry about engine damage with the accessories pullies.

Yes, I agree that it takes more then one engine tear-down to settle the issue, but at lease that is hard evident against it, whereas I have not seen anything from the for it camp.

Also another way to look at it is this, why would the auto manufacturers bother to have it in the first place if A: it doesn't do anything. B: by not having it will give them an increase in HP. C: why put it in, when it is cheaper (manufacture wise) to cast a entire metal one VS one with a rubber damper sandwitched between 2 pulleys, the only logical answer IMHO is WARRANTY. After all the manufacturer has to warranty the car. Chances are they did their research and the gain in HP VS the wear is not justifiable, same with the saving in cost manufacturing VS the wear.

Lastly if you don't have a heavy system, then why don't you just get the AEM's instead? Since they are lighten as well as underdrived, which will give you more power.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well, UR claims that manufacturers these days use harmonic dampers to reduce NVH levels. You know, when your engine is at idle, you don't want to feel any shaking inside the cabin.

And there are balancer shafts in the engines that are meant to balance the masses that are rotating and creating moments. The harmonic damper doesn't seem to do much and it only absorbs some of the excess vibrations that'd be felt to the occupants inside the car. The balancer shafts are what does most of the work.

But, this is also another theory. And there are many people with no problems with UR pulleys. They've been around for many years. So, I give them the benefit of doubt. But you know, I can always take my pulleys out when I see that people are having problems.

And why don't I get the AEM version? They underdrive too much and make the alternators more prone to failure. Plus, I think I've seen dyno's for the UR pulleys to be better than the AEM's. That's for many makes and models too. I like their design concept: Get power from very lightweight pulleys, zero grams balanced, and slight underdrive. That to me sounds like a nice, reliable setup. But I'm always curious as to what the oil analysis will say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts