Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, still trying to figure my car out.
Someone said it sounds liek it could be timing.
And I remember, it has a AEM Tru Time Cam gear on it.
So, since the guy who worked on this car before i got it (not steve, the kid he bought it off of) doesnt know shit of how to work on the engine (hack job on wires, wires disconnected from ecu, o2 sensors electrical taped very loosely), i think maybe the timing could be off, and the cam gear could be installed incorrectly. You think this is why I have to rev so high to get going, and why maybe i am getting white smoke? replace headgasket, so thats out of the question. Any other suggestions would be nice..cuz I dont want to have to swap out the motor..

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Well white smoke is usually coolant burning.....

Have you checked the ignition timing? ANd it is entirely possible the cam gears are adjusted improperly but I doubt that's causing the white smoke.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, Havent checked the ignition timing..dont really know how to either..The idle is really rough too, but we messed with that..after like 3 minutes of rough idle, it goes down to about 700 rpms.

can someone get me a diagram on how to adjust the cam gear?

and where should I check for coolant buning?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Well you should check the timing. Do you have a helms/haynes manual?

The troubleshooting sections in those manuals answer most of your questions.

And the burning coolant could be your headgasket. Check your coolant to see if there are bubbles in it after driving and if there is any oil in your coolant.

Also check your oil to see if there's any coolant in there....and do a compression test.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
91Vtec said:
MY BAD! Simple mistake.

But yeah check your timing, i remembered awhile back i advance or retarded my timing and my car(while driving) was doing what you explained. It only moved at high REV, made a shit load of noise, scared me but i remembered it was my timing...so i put it back to where it was, hasnt done that since.!
Woot!!! i would say check it ASAP, could be that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I dont know why people insist on advancing timing with a stock cam..yes you can advance it alittle bit, but nothing thats gonna give you alot of gains, just dont see how its worth it considering you can create a problem like this

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock cams. Thats why I am thinking of getting a stock cam gear.
So if anyone wants to buy the aem..i may sell it.
One of my friends is coming by to look at it tommorow..So, we may have it fixed..I pray we do.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Look at the cam gear and see if it's at the 0 setting. Unless he had it tuned it needs to be at zero. Ignition timing is simply moving the distributor left and right and putting it at factory setting with a timing light.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I am gonna look at it when I get a chance, but I am going to let my guy look at it and fix it, I'm not fucking this thing up anymore..thats why its fucked up in the first place..some idiot kid reading import tuner decided he was going to do some work, read the how to in the install tech, and di it ALL wrong.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wouldnt sell the cam gear...if u plan on modding the car in the future, it would be a good thing to keep (especially when you get a aftermarket cam). Just keep it and return the timing to stock.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked up another z6 today, in case I need to swap the old one out..if any of you ever have the chance to deal with steve (lilhavic) do it, he's a great guy to deal with, he's been awesome with every deal we've made.

now let's just hope i can get this bish runnin!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My car shall be running tommorow!
The thing that could be wrong is the valve seals.. compression test came up good all across the board. So he put some thing called smoke gone in the engine, and he is checking tommorow, something about if there is oil leaking, it is the valve seals, if it aint leaking, i'm good to go..he said hte high revving could be timing, but he thinks it is the clutch/flywheel aftermarket setup!
I dont give a sh!t what it is, all I wanna do is drive my sol!!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its only been driven a mile.
i had to tow it to get it to the guys house.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts