Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would so many people prefer the AEM C.A.I over the ICeman.? The Iceman is plastic so it doesn't accumulate heat, unlike the AEM which is metal and we all know metal stores heat easily. Is it just because it looks better?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think there's that group of people who go for AEM over Iceman for the looks - those that don't want a pastel-colored plastic intake. Personally, I think the AEM looks better, too. But, performance-wise, I've nothing to say. I like my AEM, but I've never seen an Iceman in action. I just went AEM because the majority of SHO'ers did. *shrug*

·
Registered
677 Posts
i was wondering bout the iceman. cause i heard good stuff but never really saw it in action. i know that aem cai are good products. but which cai really puts out more power?:confused:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
red aem civic said:
goddamn lets all pray that blackdeucecoupe doesnt show his gay ass up and argue again......
hahahahahaha here we go again, some body close this damn thread befor all hell breaks loose again, lets just leave it at both are good intakes and Opinions are like assholes

·
Registered
936 Posts
Bosstone700 said:
Why would so many people prefer the AEM C.A.I over the ICeman.? The Iceman is plastic so it doesn't accumulate heat, unlike the AEM which is metal and we all know metal stores heat easily. Is it just because it looks better?
Define "looks better." Ever see a 'black man' with a gold tooth? Some ppl think that "looks better", especially if it has a sapphire or diamond in the middle. How's that for mental imagery, AEM zealots?

99.9% of ricer wannabees will tell you to get an AEM intake. It's written in stone on most Honda sites. They celebrate AEM intakes like little zirconia-powder PAINTED gods. However, you have the right idea, even if you're a little confused at this point.

I'm the smartest person on this site, or practically any 'Honda site' for that matter, and I recommend you go the Iceman route. Forget the 'gold tooth' crew.

If you'd like further proof, we can drag this out for 25-50 pages, but it will make the natives restless. Be warned...

·
Registered
432 Posts
screw them both... build you're own and save 3/4's of the money to by a 2nd mod.

you can make your intake AND get a set of pulley (whatever) for the price of one of those.

Check out this link... my custom CAI is towards the bottom of this page..
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4517&pagenumber=2

I'm not TELLIN' you what to do, just offering another input... Crap, I wish i would have done it to MY car instead of buying my AEM one for almost $300 the day it came out. (like 4 years ago???)
and blackdeuce, if the Iceman is REALLY better
(and believe me, I'm not saying you don't know your stuff)
then how much better... um... .5 horsepower?

·
Registered
936 Posts
CivicNOS1 said:
...and blackdeuce, if the Iceman is REALLY better
(and believe me, I'm not saying you don't know your stuff)
then how much better... um... .5 horsepower?
That's right; feed the bear! It's safe...

The idea is to get 'cold air' from point 'A' to point 'B' in the most expedicious manner, and with the least amount of heat transfer from the engine compartment; the hottest place in your car.

I'll put it back on you, bro. Can this be accomplished better with a high-tech, tapered, thermoplastic funnel design, or a piece of cheap, polished, zirconia-painted, candy apple red, straight-walled aluminum tubing?

The answer should be obvious. How many car manufacturers use straight-wall aluminum tubing in their intakes, and how many use plastic? And, why is that? Is a plastic injection molding machine and dies cheaper than a hacksaw?

I know they use straight-wall, polished aluminum tubing in canister-style vacuum cleaners. Is this where AEM got the idea? You be the judge...

How could ALL those car manufacturers be so stupid??? Kirby and Electrolux had the answer in the 50's. Polished aluminum sells...

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
I have several friends with intakes, some with iceman, some with AEM, after the same amount of driving the hoods were popped and the iceman intakes were much much hotter. Ditch thinking about the iceman and go with AEM.

·
Registered
432 Posts
AEM Cold Air induction systems create MORE horsepower than EVERY intake system on the market. Only AEM CAI's feature CNC mandrel-bent 6061 aluminum intake pipes (NOT "a piece of cheap, polished, straight-walled aluminum tubing")

ALSO, they are individually tuned in both length and diameter to maximize power in each application. Every AEM intake is powder coated (NOT "zirconia-painted, candy-apple red") and has TIG-welded fittings and brackets. For filtration, AEM utilizes a lightweight urethane, four-layer cotton-gauze filter that features a redesigned air horn that makes an additional 1-3 HP on ALL their Air Induction Systems.

:sleep: Boring enough...? YOu don't have to take my word for it, these things are constantly being put to the test by various automotive publications (aka MAGAZINES) including Motor Trend, Turbo, Import Tuner, Sport Compact Car, Grassroots Motorsports, TMR, Import Racer, Honda Tuning, Super Street and Max Speed. In the end, the results of these independent tests are always the same-our products consistently outperform the competition. INCLUDING ICEMAN.

I don't know about you, but when I think about AEM --- I think about Stephan Papadakis’ AEM Drag Civic, Adam Sawuratari’s A&L Racing NSX, Team Honda Racing’s Pro Rally Integra, Russ Matusevich’s Frisbee Racing Supra, and MY daily driven civic.

Come to think of it, (at the moment) I don't know 1 racer with that "BETTER" Iceman intake... why's that? Maybe it's because the REAL RACERS don't want a piece of spray painted PVC pipe under their hood. :p BUT HEY, AFTERALL THEY ARE ABOUT $40-50 CHEAPER, so they'd be just right for you 'budget racers'. You get what you pay for, right?:D

One last thing, and THEN you can nibble away at a 'better educated' response ;) :eek: :cry: AEM at least has the knowledge to build their own intake, AND about 20 other products. (Just like LX98Civic says). Ice-Man has about... um.... shoot... lemme see... ONE

·
Registered
432 Posts
How could ALL those car manufacturers be so stupid???
Well, lets see. The car manufacturers ALSO have their cars equipped with CRAPPY airboxes, are you saying those pieces of plastic $hit are indeed high performance.

Why then, I ask, do we even bother with aftermarket at all.

Also, do the EVER SO INTELLIGENT manufacturers not use HEADERS on civics because that piece of shit TIN thing they call a manifold is actually useful? or Powerful?

shh.... quiet... I'll give you a little hint... ...

.....NO!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
ALL IN LOVE BDC....

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Re: Re: AEM vs. Iceman

BlackDeuceCoupe said:

I'm the smartest person on this site, or practically any 'Honda site' for that matter,
You were an arrogant bastard to begin with, but that statement right there further makes you look like the fucking idiot that you are.

You pride yourself on being "right" all the time. You find pleasure in proving yourself all the time to all of us "inferiors", which is exactly what you think of everyone but yourself.

You sir, are THE GHEY.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would anybody know if the AEM bypass would fit on my Iceman C.A.I or if Iceman makes one for theirs and where I could find it?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: Re: Re: AEM vs. Iceman

Biff said:

You were an arrogant bastard to begin with, but that statement right there further makes you look like the fucking idiot that you are.

You pride yourself on being "right" all the time. You find pleasure in proving yourself all the time to all of us "inferiors", which is exactly what you think of everyone but yourself.

You sir, are THE GHEY.
ditto

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yo, man. Talk about flaming...

That's not a very good way to make friends.:) How about we all just chill out. I mean, it's only an intake, right? Check it... I like both of the intakes in question here. And, personally, I would get the iceman if I HAD to choose. I'll tell you why.
I like the AEM because of the rigorous testing that they claim to do. They have a good quality filter, and they look great in the engine bay. They have a perfect fit with brackets to keep it in place and they have consistently shown a substantial increase in power. The reason that I would not choose this intake is because of the aluminum tubing, which is a straight tubing. I know that you think that bigger is better, but sometimes it isn't. Look at exhausts, for example. If you had a 5 inch cat back you would be losing power, instead of gaining it. Same goes with the intake. I believe that the intakes made for the civics from AEM are 3"( please correct me if I'm wrong) and only because the other manufacturers make them 3".
The Iceman, on the other hand, is a plastic tube which gradually decreases in Diameter in order to speed up the air. The greater the speed of the incoming air makes for better combustion. More air, more power. Now, not to hurt all of your feelings, but the temperature of the air doesn't matter nearly as much as the volume of air going into the combustion chamber. Of course, cooler air is denser, but the speed of the incoming air is more important.
The reason that the longer tubes make more power is only because of the longer tube. The harmonics (which I really don't care to go into right now, because this reply is long enough) are better because the engine takes the air in in pulses. SHOCKING HUH? turbulence also kills power and to get a better Idea about this, look at a rifle. The longer tube allows the bullet to be truer to it's target. Same thing with air. less turbulence and more acceleration time in the tube.
Sorry if I hurt any feelings, but that is my take on the most important question to hit this honda board. Thanks for your time.:)

·
Registered
432 Posts
i will agree with that to some degree, but I can't tell if there's any humor in your statements...:D Just in case you weren't members of the older superhonda, bdc really knows his stuff.

he's kinda got a right to be arogant, playful, whatever.. he's not a dick, just challenging. (um... i think... )

·
Registered
624 Posts
Re: Yo, man. Talk about flaming...

AMkrew_1 said:
That's not a very good way to make friends.:) How about we all just chill out. I mean, it's only an intake, right? Check it... I like both of the intakes in question here. And, personally, I would get the iceman if I HAD to choose. I'll tell you why.
I like the AEM because of the rigorous testing that they claim to do. They have a good quality filter, and they look great in the engine bay. They have a perfect fit with brackets to keep it in place and they have consistently shown a substantial increase in power. The reason that I would not choose this intake is because of the aluminum tubing, which is a straight tubing. I know that you think that bigger is better, but sometimes it isn't. Look at exhausts, for example. If you had a 5 inch cat back you would be losing power, instead of gaining it. Same goes with the intake. I believe that the intakes made for the civics from AEM are 3"( please correct me if I'm wrong) and only because the other manufacturers make them 3".
The Iceman, on the other hand, is a plastic tube which gradually decreases in Diameter in order to speed up the air. The greater the speed of the incoming air makes for better combustion. More air, more power. Now, not to hurt all of your feelings, but the temperature of the air doesn't matter nearly as much as the volume of air going into the combustion chamber. Of course, cooler air is denser, but the speed of the incoming air is more important.
The reason that the longer tubes make more power is only because of the longer tube. The harmonics (which I really don't care to go into right now, because this reply is long enough) are better because the engine takes the air in in pulses. SHOCKING HUH? turbulence also kills power and to get a better Idea about this, look at a rifle. The longer tube allows the bullet to be truer to it's target. Same thing with air. less turbulence and more acceleration time in the tube.
Sorry if I hurt any feelings, but that is my take on the most important question to hit this honda board. Thanks for your time.:)
Great post, however, only a fraction of AEM CAIs are 3.0" in diameter. I believe all Civics are 2.5". (At least, mine is, and its a 97 EX.)

1 - 20 of 98 Posts