Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
wenlyone said:
aem is not street legal

is hondata?
Nope. No standalone engine management is street legal. If you're OBD-I, it doesn't matter what you run, they'll never know, since they don't plug into the service port. If you're OBD-II, there's nothing that's legal, not even a Hondata. As of now, Hondata requires you the use of an OBD-I ECU, which OBD-II service connectors will not identify, making them 100% illegal.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Correct! I got the AEM EMS (not hocked up yet, waiting for dyno) because I'm OBD1! Sometimes I feel so lucky that I got an OBD1 because its so much easier on the emmisions, which is a bitch in CA!

I belive that the EFI (or whatever its called) that 4DoorGSR and GVTEC is using is smog legal (I think). 4DoorGSR lives here in the Bay Area so I would assume that his car is street legal since he's been driving around with it for a while now.

My good ol' friend neouser is planning on getting one too but not anytime soon. He was the one who told me about the emmisions stuff. And that is why he's streering away from Hondata and AEM because he has a 98 teg (OBD2).

·
Registered
316 Posts
EFI PMS is not legal, but they won't notice it, since it runs parallel to the stock ECU. It can either function only under boost, or it can completely bypass the stock ECU and use it's own fuel maps. BUT, the AEM EMS is still a better system, as it is a complete standalone ECU replacement...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
wenlyone said:
you are saying AEM is better than Hondata?
I prefer the AEM over the Hondata because there is no need to burn new roms for new setups. Also you wouldn't have to buy all the extra accessories just to be able to get a good system. Stage 4 is equvilent to the AEM, but the AEM still comes out on top for better standard options.

It is a little harder to work with, menaing you have to understand the dam thing, but when you do, you will find it a better tuning option than the Hondata.

·
Registered
316 Posts
wenlyone said:
you are saying AEM is better than Hondata?
Actually, yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm not a big fan of the Hondata system. The prices for what you get are misleading. You can only get software with the Stage 4, and if you want to read Boost, you have to pay extra to get the "B" feature. If you're OBD-II, you have to get an adapter harness. Pain in the ass. You get a plug and play unit with the AEM EMS out of the box.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i have obdII, will i be able to hide ems from the emissions test? I know hondata has preset maps, isn't that easier for people who are just starting?

·
Registered
316 Posts
wenlyone said:
i have obdII, will i be able to hide ems from the emissions test? I know hondata has preset maps, isn't that easier for people who are just starting?
If you're OBD-II, Hondata won't pass emissions either. People think that it will because it uses a stock Honda ECU. WRONG! Hondata only uses stock Honda OBD-I ECU's, which means that when you go into smog, after the scan the barcode on the frame of your car inside by the driver's side door, they will plug a cable into your service port. OBD-I ECU's will not send a signal to this cable. In order to pass smog in an OBD-II car, you must have an OBD-II compliant ECU. Since most aftermarket companies don't make them, just about every standalone is not smog legal. The exception, once again, is the EFI PMS. That runs parallel to the stock ECU. It has 3 modes of operation. Disabled, supplemental or full. In other words, you can disable it and use only your stock ECU, you can run it with your stock ECU and just have it map anything out of the ordinary (boost, nitrous, etc.), or you can have it bypass the ECU and run all your maps off of it, just like a full standalone. It does not alter signals going to the ECU like a piggyback. It actually has the capability to control the timing and injectors on it's own and has it's own set of maps.

All the devices in question have base maps available from their respective companies that can be downloaded. AEM, EFI and Hondata (yuck!) all provide stock maps...

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I think you guys went off on a tangent with this standalone crap.
Cspina, yes, I am running both of them together, the V-AFC and the map controller. Do you have questions about the wiring of them together?

·
Registered
316 Posts
wenlyone said:
PMS is self tunable right?
Yep, but it should still be done on a dyno with a wideband. The PMS comes with a little programming unit that's good for rough tuning. If you use the software that EFI sells, you can fine tune it and take advantage of it's built in datalogging capabilities! Awesome system, sells for under $1000.

http://www.efisystems.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts