Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys here it goes...i have a 2000 honda civic DX model... i went traveling and when i pump gas around 2am or so i kinda forgot my gas cap...(dumbass) but the thing is that the CEL light came on the next day so i know it was the gas cap issue after a day i went out to my local salvage yard and pick one up and reset my ecu by unpluggin my battery... the thing is now... it has been 2 days my car will die everyone once in a while...if i stay in gear it is be ok... once im in neutral my tach reads low as 500 rpm and goes lower and dies on me... have anyone had this problem? or knows how to fix it??

thank you
JDMFreak

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kommon_sense said:
sounds like you need a tune-up. Notice anything before the gas cap incident? Was it raining? Possibly moisture in the tank?

I would try to run that tank completely out and fill up again.

the car work normal before the gas cap incident... i just unplug the battery... to reset the ecu and i notice while i was driving... am i suppose to let the car sit for serval minutes so the ecu can test or re-config it self??

thx for helping out bro

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kommon_sense said:
Actually to reset the ecu, it is best to pull the 7.5A fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Pull it for 10 seconds.

You should let the car just sit and idle for about 5 mins after resetting the ecu.
yea that what i was thinking... i didnt let it sit and idle for 5 min... i just plug it back up and start driving again

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
whenever my ecu gets reset, the car always idles very very low for a day or two, but after that, it becomes normal again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts