Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 1997 Civic EX and was wanting to upgrade his pulleys on his motor. A couple locals here told him that changing the crank pulley over time could damage the bearings on a higher mileage motor like he has(125k). Is this true? Thanks for any help!

BTW, site looks great, haven't been on in a few years since I sold my teg...

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
dreamworks said:
A couple locals here told him that changing the crank pulley over time could damage the bearings on a higher mileage motor like he has(125k). Is this true? Thanks for any help!
The locals are correct. Our crank pulleys are not just pulleys, but also dampeners. There are a few places that offer aftermarket dampeners like ATI and Fluidampr (that is the correct spelling). However they do not offer any for d-series engines.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Don't mess with the crank pulley on a D series motor.

The performance increase isn't worth the risk. Eventually it's very likely you'll screw yourself over.

If you're looking for something in that price range you'll notice. Get a good flywheel. or buy a cam and cam gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.