Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey eeveryone....i'm lookin into buying an aftermarket distributor. maybe even one of those capacitor discharge types (i believe thats how they're called) I have a 93 Civic EX that is completly stock as far as the engine is concerned. Any ideas on which one to get? Thanks for any help.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Can you be more specific as to the purpose? Are you looking for something to help with your stereo's power or what? When you mentioned a cap, I figured you might be talking about a stereo system. If so, let me know.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its not really for my stereo, i jsut think that i have a problem with my distributor and if it turns out that i needed a new one, jsut wanted to know whats out there and what kind of benefits i would get from a distibutorless system liked the MSD or such.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well my problem is that every now and then (by this i mean it'll happen a few times in a day and then not happen for like a month) is that no matter what gear i'm in or at what rpm, sometimes the rpm's will just drop suddenly a few thousand or so rpm and then just kick back up. Not drop the way it does when you put the car into neutral, but drop drastically as if you killed all the juice. A few times its even dropped to the point where the car has stalled out on me on the highway. And if i'm at a light and it just stalls, I can't seem to get the car started right away...It'll start up but then immediately shut right off. I've taken the car to my mech and he's tried hookin it up to the computer but it never happend and since i don't get any codes....everything checks out "normal". We're both guessing its somethin in the distributor..maybe the coil but we don't want to change a distributor and that not be it. There doesn't seem to be any pattern where it happens...its happened after a few minutes into my drive, after i've been drivin awhile, Highway, city, etc...any ideas what it could be?

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Actually I have had this problem occur to me before, thanfully not in my Honda though. I my old car the oxygen sensor went bad in it, and it caused the same type of problems as you are describing. I would be at a light and it would stall, but not EVERY time. Seemed like it would do it when a lot of cars were behind me only, lol. But it definetely would stall. Same thing while driving, it would hesitate, and I would see/feel a drop in RPMs. Have your O2 sensor checked out also, it is cheaper to replace than your distributor. I lso think t's odd that you have taken it in and they have found nothing. Did you take it to an actual Honda mechanic? I hate to say it, but sometimes it's best to just take it to the people who know, even if it costs a little more. Hope this helps man.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my car is approaching 100k miles so my 02 sensor is due regardless....what sux though is that even after i change the sensor, since it happens so infrequently (hasn't happened in about a month of everyday drivin) is that i wouldn't know if it would've solved the problem...But lemme ask you, i can see how if the distributor was grouding somewhere how it would cause the RPM's to drop the way they do, but how would a faulty 02 sensor cause it? (not saying your wrong, jsut curious you know) Thanx

· Registered
1,685 Posts
I asked the same question when they told me that with my old car. Thr O2 sensor controls your gas/air mixture that is shoved into the cylinder. If your sensor is going, or IS gone, you might see your car do the same things you described. If your sensor lets in half as much air as usual, then your explosion in you cylinder will not be as powerful and your power stroke will be weaker. Weaker power stroke, weaker compression cycle on one of the other cylinders the followng time. Couple the weaker compression cycle with the incorect fuel/air mixture in the cylinder and you have your loss in RPM. Make sense to you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.