Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I have KYB AGXs and Eibach ProKits...It is really nice...but after driving an ITR many times, I am really noticing the bouncies in my 2k EX civic coupe.... And, next summer I want to drop the car about another 1" more than the ProKits.

SO, my question is, what springs match really well with the AGXs in terms of spring rate and such?...It seems like the spring makers are really reluctant to tell us what the spring rates are. I don't want it bouncy... but I am in love with my AGXs, so NO, I won't "get coilovers instead".

Can YOU help me?

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
i also have the agx's but on eibach sportlines-i have the 8 way ajustable struts-i turned the know to 6, and the ride stiffened up a bit compared to when it was on 3 originally-its not bouncy at all-nice and firm ride-

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, unfortunately I had to twist my rear shocks around when I installed my sway bar, so the knob is a little less accessible.

THEREFORE, after the autox season started, I left the fronts on 4 (4 is the highest) and the rears on 8 (hardest setting). So, having them on the softer settings all this time isn't an issue. I think I can figure out that much at least.

I just don't think that the spring rate matches the damper and rebound of the shocks that well, especially when the temperatures go below ~50.

I'm looking for someone who knows the measured rates on the springs and shocks that can at least give me some kind of answer based on that.

(maybe this should have been put in the autox section...) :rolleyes:

rnstein69 - is this your observation from freeway driving? Could the smoother ride be attributed to the fact that the Sportlines are linear in spring rate, and my pro-kits are progressive?

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
i mean, i do alot of freeway driving, and thats a smooth ride for the mostpart, local roads are a little bumpy, but the car doesnt bounce around-any car that you lower will have more of a bumpy ride since you have less to absorb the bumps with-

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I think people get confused Bouncey, and the term Firm.

a shock isn't doing its job if the car hits a bump and it keeps going up and down after the bump.

if you feel every bump in the road....thats cause your on lowering springs with stiff spring rates....not the shocks fault.

one thing though is KYB agx are dampening and compression adjustable.

they both get stiffer as you crank the number up. so you will actually feel the ride being stiffer just driving down the road. Koni yellows and other adjustable shocks are only dampening adjustable.....not sure if its a good or bad thing?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
StockClassLS said:
Well, unfortunately I had to twist my rear shocks around when I installed my sway bar, so the knob is a little less accessible.
oh, thought that it was on top of the shock body like koni yellows.

THEREFORE, after the autox season started, I left the fronts on 4 (4 is the highest) and the rears on 8 (hardest setting). So, having them on the softer settings all this time isn't an issue. I think I can figure out that much at least.

I just don't think that the spring rate matches the damper and rebound of the shocks that well, especially when the temperatures go below ~50.
If your shocks are behaving differently in cold weather, then you are not going to be able to find a spring to handle that. You are going to have to tweak the shocks as the weather changes.

I'm looking for someone who knows the measured rates on the springs and shocks that can at least give me some kind of answer based on that.

(maybe this should have been put in the autox section...) :rolleyes:
You said that your ride was bouncy. Bounciness is caused when the shock/strut can't properly dampen the spring and the spring continues to oscillate (aka bounce). So if you have a case of the bouncies then it isn't the springs fault. Only way to handle that with springs would be to get a softer spring. You already have eibach pro-kits. Doesn't get any softer than that. You can try h&r OE sports (not to be confused with h&r sports). But new springs isn't the proper answer to this question.

rnstein69 - is this your observation from freeway driving? Could the smoother ride be attributed to the fact that the Sportlines are linear in spring rate, and my pro-kits are progressive?
No. I have pro-kits as well paired with koni yellows. My ride has never exhibited any bounciness regardless of terrrain and I have literally had it everywhere. The yellows are very firm, even on their softest setting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts