Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys - i've got issues :( When I bought my 98 LS, I got it with greddy evo exhaust, love it...etc. but now there are probs...

I failed the state inspecton b/c of a catalytic converter code, so since my teg is still under waranty I took it to the dealership only to find out my 3way converter was hollowed out, and the check engine light had been rigged to never come on for that purpose.

I didn't get a chance to look for myself, but the acura guys told me my O2 sensors were all in the wrong place, even rubbing against my axels?!?! geez.

Anyways, these guys are tellin me in order to pass state inspection I will need a complete new exhaust system...like EVERYTHING replaced. Hes giving me a price tag of about 3 grand for all stock, which = bullshit.

My question is what should I do? Has anyone heard of this goin' on? I know the hallow cat has given me some extra hp, but somehow i gotta pass inspection.
should i
A.) get a new converter, and that will solve everything
B.) replace everything
C.) buy an nsx ;) heh

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
it sounds like an easy fix. don't pay 3 grand tho! u can either:

1. replace the CAT with the stock one or an aftermarket one that is CARB approved.

2. leave the exhaust system as is and see if u can find the CARB sticker or something for it. if anything, u can buy used OEM exhaust from a junkyard -- 94-01 LS exhaust or from an ITR whichever is cheaper.

3. check ur gauge cluster. the previous owner might've pulled out the bulb for the check engine light icon to ignore the problem. replace it so u can see what else is wrong with it.

go to ur local muffler shop and tell them ur situation. they can help u pass the emission by putting emission "friendly" cat, exhaust, etc.

hth.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
randyman said:
it sounds like an easy fix. don't pay 3 grand tho! u can either:

1. replace the CAT with the stock one or an aftermarket one that is CARB approved.

2. leave the exhaust system as is and see if u can find the CARB sticker or something for it. if anything, u can buy used OEM exhaust from a junkyard -- 94-01 LS exhaust or from an ITR whichever is cheaper.

3. check ur gauge cluster. the previous owner might've pulled out the bulb for the check engine light icon to ignore the problem. replace it so u can see what else is wrong with it.

go to ur local muffler shop and tell them ur situation. they can help u pass the emission by putting emission "friendly" cat, exhaust, etc.

hth.

Just to add to Randyman's sound advice;

Like he said You need a Catalytic Convertor, Your cheapest way out of this is to either get a New Aftermarket High Flow cat like Carsound "about $100. to $125." or go to a local junk yard and source the cat from a wrecked Teg...

There is no need to get an entirely new catback. I passed CT emissions in my 94 LS with I/H, stock cat and the Greddy EVO no problem. Just slap in the cat check for the bulb and see what codes the ECU is throwing, You may have toasted the O2 sensor but, that too can be remedied rather simply.

The thing that needs to be put into perspective is that a Brand NEW Honda/Acura Catalytic convertor is roughly $900. from the parts department at the dealer. You will NOT get a new one cheaper.

So either get one used at the junk yard or get a new aftermarket one...

It's not the end of the world and the remedy is rather simple, and as with everything it all boils down to money, time and research.

One thing though, Did you Know that the cat was hollowed? If so then you could not hope of passing emissions.

This is why I DO NOT SUGGEST HOLLOWING CATS, Get a HighFlow Cat, they actually perform better AND you Can Pass emissions.

Good luck,

A.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sup *Sugar*,

Where are you getting your car inspected? The dealer? I would just take it to an express lube place because they won't give you too much crap unless you have a testpipe.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just to note, the muffler portion of the exhaust has nothing to do with emissions...it's only the exhaust manifold and the catylitic converter. I doubt exhaust manifold is crakced or anything. It most likely just your cat and o2 sensors that need to be relpaced like everyone else is saying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
YOU MENTIONED THAT YOUR O2 SENSOR WAS HITTING YOUR AXEL.....DO YOU HAVE AN O2 SENSOR ON THE CAT OR ON THE HEADER?

I KNOW I TRIED TO INSTALL A HEADER ON MY 95 RS AND I THINK IT WAS THE WRONG ONE, THE HEADER WAS TOO SHORT CAUSING THE O2 SENSOR TO BE PLACED TO CLOSE TO THE AXLE. THE DAMN O2 SENSOR WAS HITTING THE AXEL WHICH MADE THE HEADER INSTALL CRAP...IT HAS TO BE THE WRONG HEADER, NOW IT SITS ON THE FLOOR OF MY GARAGE DOING NOTHING BUT HOPING TO SEE EXHAUST GASES SOMEDAY :(

I THINK BUT NOT SURE THAT THE FACTORY CAT ON A 98 LS HAS THE 02 SENSOR ENETERING THE CAT, NOT THE HEADER.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts