Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently enrolled in a autobody class but it doesnt start till Jan.2004 I have plans of opening my own shop and doing my own custom body work..i have a question for you guys my birthday is coming up and i want to buy an air compressor what would be a good air compressor to go with?

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
The bigger the better IMO. Even w/ the regulator on the outflow valve, you wouldn't want any surges or drop in pressure while you're spraying. My friend who paints uses a 6HP 30 gallon rig and is happy with it. They had a smaller 3hp 10 gallon set up and didn't feel comfortable using it. I guess bigger is better. Hope that helps.

BTW: If your parents, sig. other, etc. is going to finance your b-day present, why not just get a Home Depot, Lowes, etc. gift cert. instead. Then when you take the clalss you can figure out what you really need and make you decisions based on some personal experience?:confused: ;)

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
take the class and ask the professionals....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea im probably going 2 get a 6hp 30 gallon ive heard good reviews about it a crafstman i cant wait to start doing the autobody and fixing cars shit is going to be a interesting experience

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
SINCEREHB said:
yea im probably going 2 get a 6hp 30 gallon ive heard good reviews about it a crafstman i cant wait to start doing the autobody and fixing cars shit is going to be a interesting experience
The only other things I can tell you would be that if you split the air line to a dual hose set up, as a precaution don't let anybody else use the other line if you're painting. Also don't forget to bleed the tank regularly to prevent rusting. And if it comes w/ some type of moisture capture system take care to properly maintain it too. Good luck mang!:p Oh yeah... Don't run it at night or you'll tick the neighbors off! LOL!:D

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
SINCEREHB said:
yea i know its loud as hell lol guess theyll get used to it
Or call the cops on you...:eek: Some peeps build a soundproof (but not air tight) enclosure for the compressor to deaden the noise. A slightly more costly alternative & probably better if you plan to mount your tank somewhere and not cart/wheel it around yor garage. Plus the peeps living in your own home would probably appreciate it too.;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
30 gallons should be adequate if you're only painting indivual body panels and body kits at one time. If you plan on painting an entire car, look into a larger size. You don't want the thing to bitch out when you need it most and it takes some time to refill the tank to maintain contant pressure. Larger tanks will give you enough pressure to keep going while it recharges at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts