Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW EXACTLY TO REMOVE THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER AIRBAG FROM A 96 CIVIC DX? WHAT ARE THE EXACT STEPS AND PROPER PRE-CAUTIONS THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT! THANKS IN ADVANCE...

·
Registered
439 Posts
driver side:
-remove negative battery cable
-remove panel from the air bag
-disconnect the connections for the air bag
from there on it should be straight forward

the damn computer was being gay so i will post up more for the passenger side

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've blown the engine in my car 2 times already and i'm not willing to repair it again, it was a great car but i'm not putting any more money into it. i'm selling it by parts now and i have some people who ar interested in buying the airbags since they are so expensive at the actual dealer. i just don't know how exaclty to do it, that's why i posted this ad. can you help? thanks alex

·
Registered
99 Posts
when i built my car, just left the battery out, removed the driver side one out of the steering wheel. took the control unit (SRS unit) out from under the center of the dash. i dont think the passenger side one can be removed as it would ruin your dash. i dont think it will come out from the bottom either.

·
Registered
182 Posts
drummerboy858 said:
when i built my car, just left the battery out, removed the driver side one out of the steering wheel. took the control unit (SRS unit) out from under the center of the dash. i dont think the passenger side one can be removed as it would ruin your dash. i dont think it will come out from the bottom either.

ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!? a honda airbag cant be romoved?!?!?! a honda can be completely taken apart and pieced back together. just slide something under the airbag and pop it out, its on clips.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Crash&Burn said:
Unplug the battery, push the brakes in a few times to dispel any eletrical buildup, then to take off the driver side you go to the bottom of the steeringwheel area, and there is a plastic pop out peice. Go in there, and remove the yellow wiring harness. Then, on the sides of the steering coluwn are two more smaller plastic peices. Using a TORX 25 head, you remove the screws that are there. I don't remember how many, but it was probably 2-3. Then, you carefully remove the bag.
To remove the passanger one remove the glove box, and then on your left there is a wiring harness. Again, disconnect the yellow peice that will be leading to the left side of the airbag as you are sitting in the car. Then, there are three screws in the front, but I don't remember their size. Remove those, then have someone help you remove it by having them push it in and up from the inside of the car, and you guide it straight up.
search a lil better next time

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
actually it is a Torx 30 i just removed my driver's airbag, and the passenger is a bitch to get to because the a/c condenser keeps you from getting to one of the nuts... and i don't have any flex wrenchs so i have to drop the a/c condenser to get to it

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm taking out the pass. side bag (to mount MSD) in my '99 DX, and I have all the nuts out so the bag is ready to come out. I'm stuck trying to pop out the cover on the dash. Any ideas? Not much room to see up under there.

Thanks

Edit: Answered my own question. Just pry up on teh bottom of the airbag, and the cover will pop out. I was nervous about cracking the dash or cover plate (I'm gonna re-use the cover; sleeper look), but being careful it came out. Then I just cut off most of the pard plastic fingers. Now it stays in place, but easily pops off for access to the MSD. Now I don't have to sorry about the AB going off when my kid rides shotgun either. Since that's the case, I no longer need the back seat. Now I can gut/ cage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.