Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Alignment Kit

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Phatcivic 
#1 ·
I need a camber kit for all four wheels of a Honda Civic Coupe 2 Door 1996, If anyone can help me find the cheapest one but of good quality please give me a line.

#2 ·
I need a camber kit for all four wheels of a Honda Civic Coupe 2 Door 1996,
No you don't. Camber kits are a wasted of money, and people only buy them because they're advertised. Take your car to goodyear and get an alignment. (you might have to take your bumper off to get it onto the rack, but it's well worth it) Besides, you'd have to get an aligment after you put on the camber kit anyway.!

#3 ·
Yeah I know I took mine down there and they told me they couldn't align the car because the camber was so way out that it had to have camber kit installed. So I bought one and installed it my self and took it up there and they aligned it perfectly. And my friend has a civic so I told him he might as well go ahead and buy the kit so he wont ride around on his lowered car fucking his tires up like I did. I drove my car for 3 months on brand new tires and it totaly fucked them up in 3 months, like wires showing.

#4 ·
Yeah, I hope you've got better luck with the new set! I guess it's worth paying the extra $60 for a camber kit... whether they work or not.. at least you tried to fix it so that you don't have to replace 4 $125 tires after every thousand miles...

By The Way, what kind did you end up buying? Just curious... the guys at goodyear tire told me they were ALL supposedly a waste of money.

I'm not saying the my alignment didn't solve my problems, my tires are looking to last at least 20K now. I'm just wondering if they told me that just because they couldn't install the ingalls kit!
HAHAHAHA....

later

#8 ·
actually i noticed that once i correct the toe and camber that it doesn't have as good traction because the way the tires bent inward it hugged the road better but mutilated the tires. but it rides really smooth now and has enough traction.

#12 ·
CivicNOS1 said:

No you don't. Camber kits are a wasted of money, and people only buy them because they're advertised. Take your car to goodyear and get an alignment. (you might have to take your bumper off to get it onto the rack, but it's well worth it) Besides, you'd have to get an aligment after you put on the camber kit anyway.!
1.)Goodyear=a bunch of burned out lazy half ass mechanics, who sel over priced shitty tires. (there is my editorial)
2.)You need to get your facts straight before spewing crap like that.
3.)Alignments are one of the most important things in a vehicles suspension.
4.)Camber kits are there to correct camber on a modified suspension. Civics have no adjustment for camber.
5.)People buy altezzas and body kits and all the and huge exhausts, Toyo tires, and all the other crap because they are advertised. (Dude, I got this awesome camber kit! I am sure you hear that all the time)

here enjoy
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=379089#post379089

here enjoy
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36019

here enjoy
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t52587.html

here enjoy
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t32671.html

#13 ·
Ryocross said:

1.)Goodyear=a bunch of burned out lazy half ass mechanics, who sel over priced shitty tires. (there is my editorial)
2.)You need to get your facts straight before spewing crap like that.
3.)Alignments are one of the most important things in a vehicles suspension.
4.)Camber kits are there to correct camber on a modified suspension. Civics have no adjustment for camber.
5.)People buy altezzas and body kits and all the and huge exhausts, Toyo tires, and all the other crap because they are advertised. (Dude, I got this awesome camber kit! I am sure you hear that all the time)

here enjoy
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=379089#post379089

here enjoy
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36019

here enjoy
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t52587.html

here enjoy
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t32671.html
I am glad u learned something from me...lol, glad to see u r posting up some correct info. keep it up.

Also i must stress a major fact here, for safty a camber kit is not stressly needed depending on the camber degree. If its over 3 degreses yes i suggest you get it. But with modifications to the Toe you can lower the degree of the camber on the camber(not much but it will help.

If you have a 2.25 camber, if you set the toe to somewhere in teh positive region (forgot to mention in a high camber normally teh toe is negative) such as +10 you should knock teh camber to 2 degrees. Just try to get as close to 2 degrees as possible, i liek to see 1 degree but whatever.

#14 ·
Tonight I'm installing my Skunk2 camber kit. Then Saturday I'll get an alignment. I'm lowered on Ground Controls, and 17's

Should I have them dial in a specific amount of camber when I get the alignment? It's my daily driver and I want the tires to last me. But I want it to still handle decent too. What do you guys think? Factory specs or my specs?

#15 ·
FLAWLESS said:
Tonight I'm installing my Skunk2 camber kit. Then Saturday I'll get an alignment. I'm lowered on Ground Controls, and 17's

Should I have them dial in a specific amount of camber when I get the alignment? It's my daily driver and I want the tires to last me. But I want it to still handle decent too. What do you guys think? Factory specs or my specs?
Well the better you are on stock specs the better off but that depends on a lot. One thing is offset of teh rims, your on ground controls(which means every time u raise it or lower it it needs an alignment) and your driving . Me i liked 1 degree camber, +5 toe all around. This way when turning teh car was more responcive. You should read up on it before you say to what direction. Tell em to put it whith in spec and you want a print out of what they did, cuz they we can go from there what you dont like. A lot of it is trial and error.

#16 ·
OK that makes sense. So I'll just get it into factory specs for now, and get a printout of course.

Well...I was gonna take it to a performance alignment shop to get it dialed in ...but since I'm just going to factory specs AND getting the printout...would it be OK if I just took it to a normal place to get the alignment done for now? Problem is, the performance place (Galati's, as in Michael Galati the owner...Speedvision touring cup...drives the Audi) is only open during the week and on the other side of town. I want to get this done Saturday so I don't ruin my new tires. Whatta ya think? Go with a regular place this Sat. or wait till I can get to Galati's?

#17 ·
FLAWLESS said:
OK that makes sense. So I'll just get it into factory specs for now, and get a printout of course.

Well...I was gonna take it to a performance alignment shop to get it dialed in ...but since I'm just going to factory specs AND getting the printout...would it be OK if I just took it to a normal place to get the alignment done for now? Problem is, the performance place (Galati's, as in Michael Galati the owner...Speedvision touring cup...drives the Audi) is only open during the week and on the other side of town. I want to get this done Saturday so I don't ruin my new tires. Whatta ya think? Go with a regular place this Sat. or wait till I can get to Galati's?
Thats up to u...if anything i wouldnt drive the car is it might not be safe to drive depening on how bad it is.

If Galati is a good shop and he does the work, not some 18 yr old kid who is shit for brains take it there. He will probably fool around with the dial ins till he feels its good.

Now remember some places will not tune a camber kit if there is suspension work, as this is not what they support if you know what i mean. I would try and see what they say, either way its trial and error. YOu could wind up spending 200 bucks on alignment but at least you know its good.

#19 ·
FLAWLESS said:
I dig ya. I'd like to get it corner weighted too but most importantly I need the alignment so I don't waste the rubber. Thanks again for the facts bro.
no problem..

Corner wieghted...lol have fun.

And for you tooo really waste rubber u would need to drive 5k miles before anything noticible so i wouldnt strain on it. Also dont burn out thats the worst thing to do. But good luck

#20 ·
camber kits also help out with butterflying the wheels. When i dropped my civic the alignment place said they would not touch it because they only knew about the stock specs on the alignment but after i took it in they did it and it was fine. After a while though i noticed my rear tires were butterflying slightly so i was going to buy a camber kit but my car got stolen :(

#21 ·
bogard said:
camber kits also help out with butterflying the wheels. When i dropped my civic the alignment place said they would not touch it because they only knew about the stock specs on the alignment but after i took it in they did it and it was fine. After a while though i noticed my rear tires were butterflying slightly so i was going to buy a camber kit but my car got stolen :(
I have been around suspension for years now but wtf is butterflying??

#22 ·
Phatcivic said:

no problem..

Corner wieghted...lol have fun.

And for you tooo really waste rubber u would need to drive 5k miles before anything noticible so i wouldnt strain on it. Also dont burn out thats the worst thing to do. But good luck
Good so I won't stress about ruining my tires just yet. I may be able to get to Galati's next week to have it done right. Until then I'll probably have 500 to 700 miles total on the new tires.

Why do you laugh about the corner weighting...is it an ass-ache? Explain.

#23 ·
FLAWLESS said:

Good so I won't stress about ruining my tires just yet. I may be able to get to Galati's next week to have it done right. Until then I'll probably have 500 to 700 miles total on the new tires.

Why do you laugh about the corner weighting...is it an ass-ache? Explain.
Yes courner weighing is hard. Well you wont do it a shop will so dont worry.

Just tell them u want as close to 25% of the cars weight on each wheel, welll close to it. and here is what u want...
LF+RR = RF+LR

#25 ·
bogard said:
its when the offsets are wrong and your tires dont look even. its kinda when you look at the tires and the top is more ticked in and the bottom parts is more outwards
That is called camber / your tire point inward(the top of the tire points in towrds the body of the car.) Thta snormal when u drop a car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.