Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted in a while, anyway guys, I was wondering if I can ask of your help. Today I got two new front tires and my car aligned. When i got my car back the guy told me that my had been hit before and that the frame was bent. I was like, wtf, but this was before I bought the car. I had taken it to the place to get teh tires and alignment becuase the inner part of my front to tires were balding, on the inside, so I got new ones and aligned. Anyway back to where I was, he says I gotta get a frame puller and pull the frame back to spec if I want to have my shit perfect or near perfect. THe read out says the camber on the back rear which is supposed to be 0 to -2 degree's is at -2.5degrees, which means its off. so I wonder if I got an aftermarket camber kit, do you think this might help to correct my camber? and do you think I should get the camber for all four tires? where can I get it installed, price, and price for a good camber kit, quality and durability are my main factors, and my other cambers are borderlining tolerance levels but they bearly make spec, so please let me know, thanks.

· Registered
404 Posts
Unfortunately there is no real substitute for getting the frame back in its proper place. However, I don't think its worth it in this case.

If I were you, I'd look to get the rear camber back to spec (which is cheap and easy) and then think about selling the lemon you own.

To make rear camber more positive on a civic, you use the time-honored "washer trick" - that is you add washers between the upper A-arm mounting point and the A-arm itself. Could someone post a link? (I'm feeling lazy.)

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shorthand said:
Unfortunately there is no real substitute for getting the frame back in its proper place. However, I don't think its worth it in this case.

If I were you, I'd look to get the rear camber back to spec (which is cheap and easy) and then think about selling the lemon you own.

To make rear camber more positive on a civic, you use the time-honored "washer trick" - that is you add washers between the upper A-arm mounting point and the A-arm itself. Could someone post a link? (I'm feeling lazy.)

well ummm, what is the negative side to doing this washer trick, any links? and why is my car a lemon now? Anyone familiar with lemon laws in the state of nj? what can I do now... now that I know my car has structral damage?

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TTT

· Registered
404 Posts
RichyRichaPC said:
well ummm, what is the negative side to doing this washer trick, any links? and why is my car a lemon now? Anyone familiar with lemon laws in the state of nj? what can I do now... now that I know my car has structral damage?
As you purchased it used and the damage is a result of an accident, you fall under Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware. This is clearly not the manufacturer's fault, so lemon laws don't really apply.

Here is a link to the washer trick:

http://www.geocities.com/lx98civic/rearcamber.html

I'm thinking about three washers for your situation. Note: It would behove you to a certain extent to make sure the rear cambers matched.

There is no negative side to the washer trick - its a fully robust suspension adjustment.

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can I just get a rear camber kit? or will that not work?? I dont want to go cheap to scarafice my car, I mean, what I really do is to make my car back to spec... is it really that bad and why?

· Registered
68 Posts
Yea, a camber kit would do the trick. Its just a matter of how much you wanna spend on your car. If you plan on holding on to your car then go with the camber kit. Its the more perminant fix and will work better in the long run. The washer trick is a good fix it for a temp thing. It will hold up, but the washers were not made to do the job they are doing. The camber plate is.

· Registered
11,248 Posts
The washer trick works just fine. You can get the camber back into spec for all of $2.00 worth of washers and 20 mins of your time. I did it on my car and they did the trick just fine.

As for washers not being meant to do the job, it is just simple geometry. Several of the "camber kits" on the market simply consist of a few washers and longer bolts (aka the washer-trick). However a good inexpensive kit is the comptech kit. It replaces the whole upper arm and comptech has the part listed for about $65.

www.comptechusa.com
http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/suspension3.html

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.