Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the other day that i can significanly increase my compression by swapping b20 pistons into my b16a2. How wise would this be and how could I do it safely.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, what could i do to increase my compression, im wanting alot more all motor power

Reactions: projecthatch92

·
Registered
747 Posts
you can always buy higher comp after market slugs, Like JE or Arias..

or you could try and find some out of a JDM B16B. check the link below. it'll give you an idea of what fits in the B16A2 and what comp. ratio you can expect....

piston tech

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot, i know that with higher compression, my othe rmods will be much more effective. so if there are any more i deas id apprecite it, also, how much are those pistons?

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are going to do that I reccomend you pick up an LS block and start building it or a B20 Block or even a GSR block.

This way you can build the bottom end with forged pistons and rods and still have a motor to drive. Then when the bottom end is complete you can yank your motor pull of the head and put it on the bottom.

I am running an LS bottom end with 12.5:1 pistsons with a turbo head gasket to bring my compression down to 12:1 (I wanted to run on pump gas).

There are hundreds of options out there. The cheapest is probably going to be a GSr bottom. GSR bottom with a B16 head is called a poor mans type R.

the second cheapest would be the LS block. You can get a Bare LS block for around $100 and then the rods and crap for internals.

After that if you want to go baller you can get a Type R bottom end or a B20 bottom end. They are both usually equally expensive. The B20 is going to yield the most Torque. But again it depends on how much you are willing to spend.

If i had to do it all over again I would probably get a GSR sleeved and run it for a while and save for a beefy turbo kit...

WHAT I PAID FOR THIS STUFF BUT I SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW AND GOT MANY HOOK UPS:

Eagle Rods for LS: $300 Shipped
JE pistsons 12.5:1 $300 (from a friend)

LS Block $100
LS Crank $20

to bore and hone and assemble the bottom end I paid $500. Its not cheap...

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Could get a thinner head gasket, that would slightly increase your Compresion. But, why would you want to just increase that? YOu need to do alot to your engine before messin with stuff like that. I have 11.5:1 comprsion in my civic, and it's not the nicest vechical to drive in traffic. It's only happy in the high rev range. But, to be honest, go with JE slugs, or even Type R slugs, they'll work. Just get ready to pay alot for premium gas, and no, buying mid-grade and some octan booster won't cut it.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whoa whoa whoa, compression isnt the only thing i wanna do by far. its just one of the things i wasnt too sure about. i know it alone wont make a killer but its another link in the chain you know. Oh, and my car has always had premium gas anyway. not one fill up since i bought it has been anything other. thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
want a bad ass little setup?

Take your b16 or an LS or GSR or even Type R block.

Bored/Hone to 81.5 mm

81.5mm Endyn Rollerwave Pistons ~12.5:1 CR

Eagle rods

ACL rod bearings, ARP head studs and main studs, and all new gaskets, bearings, belts, etc etc.

Buddy Club Spec IV camshafts

Omnipower or Rocket full valve train

Good header, intake, exhaust. intake manifold setup

:wow

Reactions: 2000redCIVICsi

·
Registered
112 Posts
an LS block. done

Bored/Hone to 81.5 mm done

81.5mm Endyn Rollerwave Pistons ~12.5:1 CR (JE) done

Eagle rods done

ACL rod bearings, ARP head studs and main studs, and all new gaskets, bearings, belts, etc etc. done

Buddy Club Spec IV camshafts Might be Skunk2 Stage 3s

Omnipower or Rocket full valve train Supertech

Good header, intake, exhaust. intake manifold setup done

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn, the bore and honing would be very good for m little 1.6L because 1) its tiny and displacement is always good. 2) My motor has 131,000 miles on it, and new walls would be nice

·
Registered
61 Posts
BrokenLimits said:
an LS block. done

Bored/Hone to 81.5 mm done

81.5mm Endyn Rollerwave Pistons ~12.5:1 CR (JE) done

Eagle rods done

ACL rod bearings, ARP head studs and main studs, and all new gaskets, bearings, belts, etc etc. done

Buddy Club Spec IV camshafts Might be Skunk2 Stage 3s

Omnipower or Rocket full valve train Supertech

Good header, intake, exhaust. intake manifold setup done
Like brandon said, hes done all of that already, and he has all the experience. He had 12.5:1 cr, and lowered it to 12.0:1 with a turbo headgasket because it was too high for a daily driver running off 91-93 octane. Might be something to think about.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
2000redCIVICsi said:
damn, the bore and honing would be very good for m little 1.6L because 1) its tiny and displacement is always good. 2) My motor has 131,000 miles on it, and new walls would be nice
It'll barely increase your displacement.. If I had the bore/stroke specs on hand in front of me, I'd figure it out, but I don't, haha. :)

edit: Actually, found the specs.. Stock is about 96.8 cubic inches (~1.59L).. overbore is about 97.5 cubic inches (~1.60L). You'd probably get better performance out of having a fresh seal with new piston rings on perfectly round cylinder walls than you would out of the increase in displacement.

Reactions: 2000redCIVICsi

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im thinking ill hone it out pretty soon, starting to a tiny whisp of smoke when vtec kicks in

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bluish white, i dont remember what that means.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i appreciate it man, will do, i know my little 1.6 coudl use a refreshment

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.