Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a crx w/ b18a1 swap and want to change my tranny fluid, does anyone know of a writeup on this or resource that would help me other than a haynes manual?

also what type of fluid should i use? is mobil-1 motor oil fine?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Redline MTF (manual transmision fluid) or Honda MTF, if your going to use Mobil1, use the MTF. If the synchros grind, use Penzzoil Synchromesh. There are other synchromeshes out there, but that one was the easiest to get my hands on and they are all about the same.
As for changing it, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny. Loosen this and drain the fluid. Put bottom drain plug back in the case. Around the area of the axle on the passenger side of the tranny there will be another bolt, much like the bottom drain plug. Take this out and pump the fluid in until it starts to run out the refill plug. Put plug back in to the hole. Now you done..... this should take like <20 minutes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr GSR said:
Redline MTF (manual transmision fluid) or Honda MTF, if your going to use Mobil1, use the MTF. If the synchros grind, use Penzzoil Synchromesh. There are other synchromeshes out there, but that one was the easiest to get my hands on and they are all about the same.
As for changing it, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny. Loosen this and drain the fluid. Put bottom drain plug back in the case. Around the area of the axle on the passenger side of the tranny there will be another bolt, much like the bottom drain plug. Take this out and pump the fluid in until it starts to run out the refill plug. Put plug back in to the hole. Now you done..... this should take like <20 minutes.
sweet, thanks alot man. i haven't looked to hardon how to do it, but now it is my dd so i gotta step up the maintanence.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr GSR said:
i can't figure out which is the drainplug, there is a bolt that takes a socket wrench with no socket(you just stick the wrench in) but it is very tight. i am not even sure if that is it. how would i loosen this bolt? also is the fill on top of the tranny on the pass side or just above the drain plug? i attached some pics...the first is pass side, 2nd is drivers side, 3rd is what i think is the filler.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
the first pic is the drain bolt, but the 3rd is NOT the filler hole, i have been looking around to see if it is possible to put the fluid in there though, since it is a breather, but no info found yet. the real filler bolt is same location as the drain bolt, but higher on the tranny, i dont have any pics to show you, but you should be able to recognize it
quikflip

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quikflip27 said:
the first pic is the drain bolt, but the 3rd is NOT the filler hole, i have been looking around to see if it is possible to put the fluid in there though, since it is a breather, but no info found yet. the real filler bolt is same location as the drain bolt, but higher on the tranny, i dont have any pics to show you, but you should be able to recognize it
quikflip
thanks for the info, so how do you guys loosen bolts that have been tight for years without breaking anything? wd-40? also what in the hell am i supposed to use to get fluid in that hole? thanks again!!

is that the filler hole in the first pic above the drain plug?

·
Registered
303 Posts
SwaptRex said:
thanks for the info, so how do you guys loosen bolts that have been tight for years without breaking anything? wd-40? also what in the hell am i supposed to use to get fluid in that hole? thanks again!!

is that the filler hole in the first pic above the drain plug?
if you dont want to break the filler bolt (which is the other bolt in the first pic. the one right next to where the axle enters the transmission) use pb blaster or wd-40. they will do about the same thing. you can use a flexable funnel or if you have the cone plastic tip on the bottle of fluid you can put a rubber hose and squeeze the bottle. thats what i did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crazycrxtuner said:
if you dont want to break the filler bolt (which is the other bolt in the first pic. the one right next to where the axle enters the transmission) use pb blaster or wd-40. they will do about the same thing. you can use a flexable funnel or if you have the cone plastic tip on the bottle of fluid you can put a rubber hose and squeeze the bottle. thats what i did.
cool, thanks alot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.