Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car now makes absolutely no noise :)

here are some pics (i'm almost done with it)

pictures with flash so you can see it better:

i am really happy with the way it turned out.....i painted those parts black so the wholes dont stand out as bad.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You cut a hole through the factory shock tower?!?!
No offense man, I have admired alot of the stuff you've done to your car over the years, but I'm not sure that was the smartest or the safest thing to do... i mean the shock tower is reinforced heavy duty steel for a reason.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nas00 said:
You cut a hole through the factory shock tower?!?!
No offense man, I have admired alot of the stuff you've done to your car over the years, but I'm not sure that was the smartest or the safest thing to do... i mean the shock tower is reinforced heavy duty steel for a reason.
my car was too low, and the top of the ball joint would hit the fenderwell on even the smallest bumps. Basically my suspension was very limited very unsafe. This fixed everything. I got all my control back, it corners so much better now.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
98Vtec said:
my car was too low, and the top of the ball joint would hit the fenderwell on even the smallest bumps. Basically my suspension was very limited very unsafe. This fixed everything. I got all my control back, it corners so much better now.

did you check to see if the new amount of suspension travel is going to cause the balljoints (upper and lower) into unsafe angles first?

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick V said:
did you check to see if the new amount of suspension travel is going to cause the balljoints (upper and lower) into unsafe angles first?
it doesnt go much further, maybe a half inch if that. I am gonna be covering the hole when i get ahold of another welder. The plate is gonna be raised up just a bit.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
huh...I woulda just said raise the car and your problem woulda been gone :p

Couldn't you have just gotten stiffer springs/shocks? Would have reduced travel at least...dunno...I'm not too keen on info about the chassis and cutting holes in it, so I couldn't tell you anything about that, I know zero in that area, lol.

Doesnt' look messy tho.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would have switched out the ball joint type camber kits to the anchor type before I hacked up the shock tower. It doesn't look like the safest thing to me either. I'm probably as low if not lower than you and I'm using Ingalls #3573 camber kits. I have no problems like that. But, maybe it's different for 4th gens?

·
Registered
263 Posts
^^^
I think that will help, but it's still not going to ever be strong as it was originally. I woulda raised the car up to stock height before that... I mean if you're that low wouldn't the geometry be jacked up.

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts

I don't think your car Blake is any lower than mine really. Maybe a little but you definitely shouldn't be hearing anything hitting, especially ball joints! If the ball joints move a half inch or inch I'd be worrying. Those things are all supposed to be tight. Are you sure you don't have worn bushings and weak suspension parts?

That pic is what it's all about. Koni shocks might not be the best but for $150 a pop they are totally worth it. I've got them mated to neuspeed sport springs and I've got full adjustability on dampening. I'm not trying to talk my car up but it just doesn't seem that by going over small bumps you should hear anything. What suspension setup do you have 98? I love mine, I swear it would pull a g or real close on the skidpad. I've never driven a car that has handled this well besides on my wedding night in my buddies 03 yellow droptop. The vette just seems so long and big, it does handle awesome but I feel safer with atts and fwd!

By the way there's a big reason to read my all motor thread now, finally sheeeww :rolleyes :clap :D

**edit** By the way I don't think that hole will cause any problems whatsoever. I've seen rusted through crap a hole lot worse plus when he has the plug welded in you won't even know unless you know about ludes!

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got neuspeed sport and kyb agx shocks.

You would be suprised how much the ball joint sticks up higher than the stock joint. Its a good inch taller or more. The stock is flush with the arm when it is pressed in.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got the ingalls balljoint up front and mine does not stick up that much. It's not flush like stock but if any, its maybe 1/4 to 1/3 higher. But not over 1/2 or even an inch higher.

It looks a lot better now than when you started. Before it looked like you didn't know how to work the dremel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.