Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its a 99 civic Si, clean, SORRY IT REALLY HAS 119K,I MIXED UP 2 CARS Runs perfect. Its lowered, headers, intake, pullys. I talked him down to $4500 and i was ready to give him the money untill i saw a 2 inch Crack in the block! I said forget it and i left. Did i make a good decision? Or should i go and get. Is this a big deal? Click on the link and make pic bigger, you can see the crack.

Actual pic of motor http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/8893/si200000fv.jpg

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
sihatch6166 said:
So its a 99 civic Si, clean, 76K, Runs perfect. Its lowered, headers, intake, pullys. I talked him down to $4500 and i was ready to give him the money untill i saw a 2 inch Crack in the block!
How does it run perfect with a 2" crack in the block?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
yea it could be non fatal crach it could be just on the surface. untill you magnaflux a block you dont know and no way to be sure

a:either he keept his engine super clean all the time and its good

b: he cleaned the piss out of it to make you think it was well taken care of and wanted to sucker someone into buying it

I saw a stock Si in my area all OEM w/lip and 140k going for 8900 OBO. imo Si with below 100k and les then 6k is either a scam or something is seriusly wrong with it

·
Registered
386 Posts
SI's are kinda expensive to me, so u gotta watch out for scams. You see stuff like that with supras all the time mk4's going for like 12k, only to realize their f'd. I wouldnt mess with a car like that, unless you use the red dye.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
antwn_5k said:
SI's are kinda expensive to me, so u gotta watch out for scams. You see stuff like that with supras all the time mk4's going for like 12k, only to realize their f'd. I wouldnt mess with a car like that, unless you use the red dye.

Red dye? Please tell me about this because if the motor is still good ill go and get the car

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
speedjunky01 said:
yea it could be non fatal crach it could be just on the surface. untill you magnaflux a block you dont know and no way to be sure

a:either he keept his engine super clean all the time and its good

b: he cleaned the piss out of it to make you think it was well taken care of and wanted to sucker someone into buying it

I saw a stock Si in my area all OEM w/lip and 140k going for 8900 OBO. imo Si with below 100k and les then 6k is either a scam or something is seriusly wrong with it

how do you test it to see if its just on the surface? And what does this consist of doing?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
sihatch6166 said:
how do you test it to see if its just on the surface? And what does this consist of doing?

completley remove engine block send it to a shop that does that king of work. its basicly like an ultrasound for your block.

·
Registered
47 Posts
sihatch6166 said:
So its a 99 civic Si, clean, SORRY IT REALLY HAS 119K,I MIXED UP 2 CARS Runs perfect. Its lowered, headers, intake, pullys. I talked him down to $4500 and i was ready to give him the money untill i saw a 2 inch Crack in the block! I said forget it and i left. Did i make a good decision? Or should i go and get. Is this a big deal? Click on the link and make pic bigger, you can see the crack.

Actual pic of motor http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/8893/si200000fv.jpg
good thing u walked away, that motor gonna blow sooner or later :p and when it does u would regret spending that 4.5k :aww

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
sihatch6166 said:
How much does that usually run?
it depends, can you pull the engine and tare it down your self?

usualy A shop to do this will charge 1000 bucks or so to do it if you drive the car in. and thats if they dont find anything wrong, if they find a crack then its new block time.

basicly it would be MUCH less of a hastle if you just freaking buy another Si

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
speedjunky01 said:
it depends, can you pull the engine and tare it down your self?

usualy A shop to do this will charge 1000 bucks or so to do it if you drive the car in. and thats if they dont find anything wrong, if they find a crack then its new block time.

basicly it would be MUCH less of a hastle if you just freaking buy another Si
yea.. your right, ill call him in a week to see if it sold, if not ill offer 3200.

thanks for all the info about the block

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.