Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Yeah its normal. If you look at a dyno chart of a stock b16 after 5500 the power really picks up...its peak power is around 7600-7800 RPM.

Also..why is your vtec lowered to 5k?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
ya, that's what i was thinking.....unless you've had it tuned to engage at 5k. it should be kicking in at 5500rpms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your guess is as good as mine...I have an apexi vtec controller but I didnt put it on there.....I think the person that had it before me got it and just screwed around with it...What do you think the best setting would be to get the most power?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
The stock tach has a tendency to be off at very high RPMs...but mine is on 100% and so is my friends' Si. I think people exaggerate.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
2Triple0SI said:
My vtec kicks in at 5000rpm but doenst really pull at all untill 6500.....Is that normal?....I road in my friends '97 prelude and it kicked in and started pulling hard. Should mine do that? THX.
Set your VTEC back up to 5500 RPM where it belongs.

As for your friend's car, the H22A4 has the VTEC engagement set too high from the factory and therefore suffers losses in the torque curve just prior. This is why there is a noticeable change in the Prelude's torque curve once VTEC engages. Lowering the VTEC engagement point for that particular engine will smooth out the curves.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
2Triple0SI said:
Your guess is as good as mine...I have an apexi vtec controller but I didnt put it on there.....I think the person that had it before me got it and just screwed around with it...What do you think the best setting would be to get the most power?
be careful with VTEC controlers......if not tuned right they can destroy a motor. my brother-in-law put one on his 99Si.......and didn't have it tuned right and it through a rod through his block from not being set right. so be careful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
killer B said:
be careful with VTEC controlers......if not tuned right they can destroy a motor. my brother-in-law put one on his 99Si.......and didn't have it tuned right and it through a rod through his block from not being set right. so be careful.
Yea, well there is a honda tuning shop that can fix it up for me so im gonna let them get it all back to normal.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Targa250R said:
Set your VTEC back up to 5500 RPM where it belongs.

As for your friend's car, the H22A4 has the VTEC engagement set too high from the factory and therefore suffers losses in the torque curve just prior. This is why there is a noticeable change in the Prelude's torque curve once VTEC engages. Lowering the VTEC engagement point for that particular engine will smooth out the curves.
that and the H22 does have a bigger motor hence more torque and hp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Wonder

Since you've been talking about when Vtec kicks in, I would like to share something. I have a '96 coupe LX with a 90' B16a Swap (weird, i know), controlled by a PW0. It's supposed to all be working fine but my Vtec enters at different RPM's each gear.
1st- 4,500
2nd- 5,300
3rd- 5,800 ...and so forth.

My engine does not limit. I can take it up to 9k with out a problem.
Now I ask you gurus, how's this possible?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
syntetyc said:
Since you've been talking about when Vtec kicks in, I would like to share something. I have a '96 coupe LX with a 90' B16a Swap (weird, i know), controlled by a PW0. It's supposed to all be working fine but my Vtec enters at different RPM's each gear.
1st- 4,500
2nd- 5,300
3rd- 5,800 ...and so forth.

My engine does not limit. I can take it up to 9k with out a problem.
Now I ask you gurus, how's this possible?
Well ive read that there are actually 10 different vtec settings.....2 each gear for engagement point and disengagement...So that could be why.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.