Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are we so focused on the hydrogen fuel cell car???

I personally like to push e85... or ethanol-based fuels that are less polluting, renewable and put american farmers to work...

plus we can make use of existing internal combustion engine technology instead of developing entire new systems, we can use existing gas stations and such infrastructure, instead of converting over to a whole new hydrogen system...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
they pushing for hydrogen because it will take longer to implanment, first they have to reinvent the motor and then a whole new distributing system. In all taking years to complete.

Ethanol could be used by pretty much retrofitting existing internal combustion engines, and also retrofitting existing fuel distributing systems, taking years less.

see where i'm going with this? Oil companies flexing its influenctial muscle to make sure that alternative fuels remain years away.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
hobie237 said:
Why are we so focused on the hydrogen fuel cell car???

I personally like to push e85... or ethanol-based fuels that are less polluting, renewable and put american farmers to work...

plus we can make use of existing internal combustion engine technology instead of developing entire new systems, we can use existing gas stations and such infrastructure, instead of converting over to a whole new hydrogen system...
first off, im not sure, but i think ethonal is way more expensive than gasoline. second, theyre pushing for hydrogen because its a more permanent fix. it is the most abundent sunstance in the universe. the only reason why were not driving hydrogen cars now is because it takes more energy and makes more pollutants to extract the hydrogen than it would to just use gasoline.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
has anybody ever put ethonal to use for a race application? or does it not put out any power

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
from what i understand, e85 turned out to be pretty much the same as gasoline as far as performance goes.

i personally welcome the newer forms of fuel. it will be interesting to see what numbers the hydrogen powered cars will produce and how much fuel for those cars will end up costing consumers.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
UnseenShadow said:
ethanol has a major problem tho... what happen if there is a dry spell and we cant grow any corn...
it would just be the exact situation as if there was an oil embargo, nothing new

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
from what i understand alcohol based fuels dont put out as much BTUs as gasoline, which means its need to burn more of it to equal the power of gasoline. hydrogen is definately the best way to go, not sure about fuel cells though id prefer an internal combustion hydrogen power plant instead.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think the better way to go is to use existing infrastructure and motor designs with ethanol....

i know it burns cooler, but with engines specifically made for it, running super high compression, i believe, it is just as effecient...

plus then we still get to hear nice exhaust notes rather than electric motor whine.......lol

i dont know the octane numbers for e85 but i think ethanol can be formulated to behave as a nearly equal substitute for gasoline

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
E85... that's just Ford's way of getting by emissions laws for pushrod engines. We set up 80 or so E85 filling stations around the midwest and slap on some corrosion-resistant fuel lines and green leaf badging on Taurus's and Rangers sold around the country. Even if you opt to fill up with E85, you'll find that the gas mileage plummets. If we covered America in corn fields, there still wouldn't be enough ethanol for every car.

Diesel pollutes.

Carbon dioxide is one of the products in the reaction producing hydrogen.

Electric motors crap out. I don't know if hybrids are any different.

I guess everybody should drive a Civic HX.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
flyingtoaster said:
E85... that's just Ford's way of getting by emissions laws for pushrod engines. We set up 80 or so E85 filling stations around the midwest and slap on some corrosion-resistant fuel lines and green leaf badging on Taurus's and Rangers sold around the country. Even if you opt to fill up with E85, you'll find that the gas mileage plummets. If we covered America in corn fields, there still wouldn't be enough ethanol for every car.

Diesel pollutes.

Carbon dioxide is one of the products in the reaction producing hydrogen.

Electric motors crap out. I don't know if hybrids are any different.

I guess everybody should drive a Civic HX.

e85 is a great idea... and there could easily be enough to go around, like i said, it can now be made out of any plant matter... grass clippings, dead trees, corn, houseplants, even small children

diesel does pollute, but modern diesels are just as good as gasoline engines, they do put out more particulate emmissions, but less greenhouse gasses...

hybrids have problems with not only the motors but the batteries crapping out...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Biodiesel

Diesel doesn't pollute anymore than gasoline if a proper cathalytic converter/ regenerating particle filter is fitted. The best part with a diesel is its fuel flexibility.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Leaded fuel puts lead in the air. Unleaded fuel does not put lead in the air. America has poor quality diesel fuel, making the dilemma worse. However, both engines put similar amounts of carbon dioxide into the air and I think that's how they tax cars in the old country.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
flyingtoaster said:
Leaded fuel puts lead in the air. Unleaded fuel does not put lead in the hair. America has poor quality diesel fuel, making the dilemma worse.

wow. profound statement of the fucking decade. there is no leaded fuel any more. and yes, leaded fuel had lead in it (surprise surprise)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Does it not have lead? I wasn't aware. It must be the benzene, formaldehyde, butadiene, acetaldehyde it contains that causes athsma and anemia.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
amazon said:
Diesel doesn't pollute anymore than gasoline if a proper cathalytic converter/ regenerating particle filter is fitted. The best part with a diesel is its fuel flexibility.
thats true, but its harder to meet the emission standard and milage requirements in the US.

read it on the EPA site.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/diesel/diesel.htm

1 - 20 of 62 Posts