Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today out of no where, my car starts making a small whining noise at idle and it got louder as i accelerated. It wasnt that loud though, the other people in my car couldnt tell the difference, but i definetly could. I didnt think anything was bad, then when i parked i heard a burning smell. I went home and called honda and they told me to bring it up.

After the tech. looked at it he told me my alternator was going. You could hear the noise coming right from the alternator and the smell was somewhat like battery acid. The burning smell came from rubbing against a pulley.

So he says i'll need a new one soon, i still have some life left. When u need a new one, honda doesnt just send one, they just refurbish yours. And that still costs $339.00 plus the labor...which is somewhere around 100. FUCK!!....the tech was really cool though, he told me how to do it myself. He said if i take it to an auto electric shop they will refurbish it and garuntee it. so i should be able to save about 200 doing all that.

I also asked him about the whole tranny issue with the 6th gen. He said that he doesnt do alot of work on them. He said usually its driver enduced. He also said alot of people think their tranny's are going when its just the o-ring on the torque converter.

Overall they were pretty good to me, Didnt even charge me. Anyone had to replace an alternator?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I high recommend that you get one of those higher rated alternators and put it in yourself. For some reason I've only heard of the V6 alternators dying which are made by Ford, but never seen anything about the Denso ones put in the I4 models.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ya i'm definetly going to do the install by myself. It seems pretty easy and i only have to take out the cooling fan to get it out. They tech said that i would be fine driving as until my low battery light came on.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't wait too long to replace it. I waited til the last minute and my car was about to die on my, got off the highway and bam it died, and had the manuever the car w/o power steering...at least it didn't die on the highway though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
if u guys remember one of my threads, i learned the hard way not to drive with a bad alt... luckily honda replaced it FreE!!!... along with the tow!!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Esper said:
if u guys remember one of my threads, i learned the hard way not to drive with a bad alt... luckily honda replaced it FreE!!!... along with the tow!!
What exactly happened?...did u just get stranded?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Better yet, buy a rebuilt one, replace your old one yourself, and return the old one to the auto parts store for the core refund. It'll cost you about 150 to 200 bucks total, depending on where you get it.

I had to replace mine too. I drove with it making noise for a while with no problems, but it would definitely have gone up eventually

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually today it died....r.i.p. .....i had to jump her to get her home. Its ok though becuase i'm going outa town. When i get back i only go to school for like 4 more days and then i have a week off. So my dad will either take care of it this weekend or i'll take care of it during break. Discount auto parts has them for my car at 220 or sumtin like that.

If I had to get it installed somewhere, how much should i pay?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cost you about 450 at the dealer. Is that 220 price with or without the core charge? I think you should get 40 to 50 bucks back when you return the old alternator

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
why are you insisting on putting the 105amp one back in? for less than tghe $220 you are willing to pay you can get a 180amp alternator that is DIRECT FIT!!! Same housing, same external plugs, the only difference is the guts have been seriously beefed up. Or I guess you can pay the $220 and just have it fail again soon. A higher output alternator will only have adverse affects when you are using a higher load. I did rough calculations a while ago and it was a hair over 2hp to run the 105A alternator at full load and almost 4hp to run the 180A alternator at full load, the only time you'd feel the 2hp difference is when you tried to pull 180A. Also in theory the alternator should last longer as well. Think if you're pulling 105A from the stock alternator that's 100% duty cycle, meaning it's putting out the most is can, working as hard as possible, if you have the 180A alternator with the same load it's using the exact same amount of energy from the engine, but the alternator itself is only at 58% duty cycle, so the parts aren't being fully stressed. I blew my stock alternator about 3 months after I bought the car because of my stereo that pulls about 150A, I have since had the 180A alterstart alternator in(almost 1.5 year) and have not had a single problem.

http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/st...=highoutputalternators&uid=10180&catuid=10013

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brant said:
Cost you about 450 at the dealer. Is that 220 price with or without the core charge? I think you should get 40 to 50 bucks back when you return the old alternator
The quote was 339 for the alternator. He didnt give me a quote on the labor becuase they dont usually do that unless you are definetly ordering the part. He said it would take about an hour and a half and run me around $100. He told me they send in your old alternator to honda and then send it back so you're not getting a new one. I was kinda confused about all this, didnt really pay attention becuase i knew i'd be buying it somewhere else.

as for getting the 180 amp. I really dont need the extra amps, my system runs off low amps and i dont think i'd ever upgrade to anything more powerful. It was on the car since 98 w/ 50k miles so i dont think it will be dieing soon...who knows.

·
Registered
417 Posts
(I have not read all the other replies because I have to leave soon but...)

$339 plus $100 labor? Woah! Royal Screwage!

Autozone....reconditioned alternator = $80 - $100(for one with high milage warranty)....do it yourself (15 - 20 min)!

LOL $449 for an alternator? Talk about a 5 foot dildoh!

·
Registered
18 Posts
can someone give me detailed instructions on how to replace the alternator? Mine just died too.....my car's stuck in the parking lot..................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts