Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving down the road and my stereo suddenly turns off.......then my speedometer, rpm meter, gas, and engine temp gauge all turn off............then my headlights turn off.........also, I've noticed a whining sounds coming from somewhere under the hood. After reading some posts, it seems like its the alternator. I am going to go and buy that new high output alternator. Is there a way i can get it done for free from Honda? I have a 98 accord coupe with no more waurantee. Anyway, can someone give me DETAILED instructions on how to replace the alternator? My car is stuck in the parking lot right now cause i had to push it about a mile all the way home.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
you should post here:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67464 .

all the people there already has replaced their alternator.
if your out of warranty then your out of luck. theres no way that honda will replace the alternator for free. i would just suggest to buy the altornator, DIY, or bring it in to a local shop to have it done.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
well it depends,you might have a chace of getting it replaced by honda for free. The tech at the dealer near me told me that if i had been getting regular maintenance from that dealership, Courtesy Honda, they probably would have fixed that for free. He didnt really go into it, but he said that Honda did have alot of bad alternators in the 98 av6. They didn't change the design untill the fallowing years. Sounds to me like it was a problem but not a big enough one make a recall.

as for fixing it, he said it was pretty straight forward, just take out what you need to in order to get back to it. Estimated time at the dealership was an hour and a half.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got mine installed !

[EDIT]

Yah it's a commuter car... been though enuff miles... and im up in ny where it snows and rains and oxidates..

I got it install at a shop where my roommates's gf's father's friend owns and he charge me 45 bucks... also since my car has high miles he's going to change the belts, water pump, timing belt later on..

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I got mine rebuilt and installed for 160.....a damn good fee i think. it has a one year warrantee also....the guy told me that if you are going to have a problem w/ an alternator thats new, its going to happen right when its installed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The heavy amp draw of my system cause my alt to die. I ordered the Alterstart last week and it's suppose to come Monday. I will take some time off work on Tuesday to install the new alt myself. Hopefully, by Wednesday, I can post a thread on how to do this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.