Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
E-mail I sent APC!

Hi,

I am writing for my brother who is up in Savannah, Ga.
He was given a ticket for illegal tail lights and had
to appear in court. The judge told him that any
modification to a car is illegal. I know the box said
100% street legal and wondering if you guys have run
into this problem with any of your other customers??

The ticket was NOT dismissed and he had to pay the
fine! The cop even came out to make sure he had
changed back to stock.

The car is a 95 Accord and he has the ones that look
almost identical to the Lexus IS-300 tails!!

Please let me know what he can do in this situation.
My father is talking about getting a lawyer now.

Thanks

Jonathan

· Registered
83 Posts
DOT?

If the letters DOT (department of transportation) appear on the tail lights, that means they passed inspection by the department. Show that to a cop and say, thats you, you approved them. They should have nothing more to say.

· Registered
198 Posts
Re: DOT?

LimeCivic said:
If the letters DOT (department of transportation) appear on the tail lights, that means they passed inspection by the department. Show that to a cop and say, thats you, you approved them. They should have nothing more to say.
One DOT is not the police, two I was told they are illegal because you can not see the light from the side of the car. What I don't get is why they would say that modifying the car is illegal, that is totally not true, and he is a judge. You might want to check the laws in your state.

· Registered
198 Posts
LX98Civic said:

I asked why cops are aloud to have illegal tint on the police cars if it's so dangerous, and I was told the law doesn't apply to cops :rolleyes:
My friend wanted to be a cop, and he at one time stuck up for them in a arguement. Until he realized that they like to use there lights to get through lights, speed, and even know a few that do drugs and get away with it. They are not above the law, and need to know that.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
To tell you guys something true, but sad. I was doing some research on a few states. Concerning what you can and can't do to your car... and by law, reading the law book from 5 different states mentioned that ANY modifications made to you vechile is considered illegal. Meaning if you change the paint color of your car without notice, if you change the size of your tires without notice you could be written up for a ticket. Here in Va, most of the cops are not gonna stop you for Altezza lights, fog lights or anything minor like that. But, if they wanted to they could write you up a ticket, and there is nothing you can do about it, cause it's in the book. It's almost like that same law that every state has about having sex is a crime unless you are married. It's a law, but nobody is concerned with it. You should really take the time to read your state laws, you'd be surpised what laws are out there that you never thought would apply to your car or well-being.

· Registered
36 Posts
My friend also got a recent ticket for his
"100% street legal" APC altezzas. I think
it is a bunch of b/s..if it is approved by the
department of trans. then it should be
legal. But here in VA cops get pleasure out
of pulling over imports, or even domestic
vehicles that have been modified. Well my
friend thinks he is going to get off on
this ticket because he has the APC box still
that says street legal....but we will see on
the 15th. Ill let you guys know what the
judge says to him.

IF anyone lives in VA...around Chesterfield..
Watch out for NASH lol he gets off everytime
he pulls a modified vehicle... bastid.

· Registered
36 Posts
Ive actually heard of Yager. have you
ever heard of officer beach...hes a state trooper...
he got moved to powhatan..and now he
is crackin down on all of us....a few of my
friends have gottin tickets from him for there
altezzas...damn pig. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.