Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
when you bolt it to the box it just looks messy to some people. I've heard people say that it will shorten the life of your amp because of the vibration from the subs, and I've heard many people who did it for years without any problem.

If you think of it no matter where you mount your amp it will receive some sort of vibration from the subs. Just think about how much rattle you have in the trunk from the outside, and how imagin how much it is from the inside?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You do realize that a proper box doesn't vibrate inside the car?... it vibrates WITH the car....

car moves up, box moves up....

if you put your hand on your box.. and its vibrating a lot... either A: not thick enough wood/fiberglass, or B: the box isn't bolted down...

I've seen some pretty radical boxes.... and most of the good boxes don't vibrate at all playing music after they're bolted down... granted, if its not bolted down.. the entire box is going to vibrate... but if panels on the box vibrate, there isn't enough bracing or the wood is too thin.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Transparent said:
IMO it hust doesnt look as nice, but I dont think it'll cause any harm to the amp
I agree with Transparent. The amp being on the box won't cause any harm to the amp. It just will look like a messy install. I always hate putting amps on boxes just for that fact. That and you can't just unplug the speaker wires and pull the box out if you need to. You'll have to take all the wires out, and it just becomes a real hassel.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
place your amp somewhere where you won't be placing your cargo like on the back of a seat, instead of the floor, thats where I did mine. Yeah you probably could put it on the box but it won't look that cool, be creative you can find a good place!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't put the amp on the back of the seat because of the little door where the arm rest is on the back seat. The plastic makes it uneven.

Then I have L brackets holding the sub box in place.

To be creative I would have to do a lot of customizing, which is time and money. :bh I'm just looking for a quick simple solution.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just put my hand on the box and found there was no vibration. I didn't even know that there was no vibration from the box. I don't really plan to remove my box from the trunk anytime soon so I really don't care about that.
I am worried about making it look neat, but I will figure something out.

Thanks alot guys for all your help. :number1

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
The reason I dont mount a amp this way is cause it is that much easier for somebody to break into your car and just grab the box and pull.Anytime you can make it harder for somebody to take your shit you need to do it being that this is a easy way to keep them from stealing all your equipment in seconds

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
98civic4door said:
The reason I dont mount a amp this way is cause it is that much easier for somebody to break into your car and just grab the box and pull.Anytime you can make it harder for somebody to take your shit you need to do it being that this is a easy way to keep them from stealing all your equipment in seconds
Then put your amp under your seets! And get an alarm!

·
Registered
43 Posts
That won't work..... put your amp on top of a false floor... and put a false floor on top of that to hide it! Below the bottom false floor... put a big F'n amp hooked up to your alarm... to some deadly loud tweeters.... when the alarm goes off.. anyone stupid enough to have their ears in the trunk... loses their hearing!

Anyone stupid enough to not cover their ears if the trunk is open... while being about 10 feet away.. is going to have a pulsating headache and some ringing of the ears quicklike.....

(yes.. its loud...)

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
vladthebad said:
That won't work..... put your amp on top of a false floor... and put a false floor on top of that to hide it! Below the bottom false floor... put a big F'n amp hooked up to your alarm... to some deadly loud tweeters.... when the alarm goes off.. anyone stupid enough to have their ears in the trunk... loses their hearing!

Anyone stupid enough to not cover their ears if the trunk is open... while being about 10 feet away.. is going to have a pulsating headache and some ringing of the ears quicklike.....

(yes.. its loud...)
Dont forget that false amp, subs car your riding around in! :noo :noo

ANd what wont work!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I already have things underneath both of my driver and passanger seats. I would be some what of a good idea.

On the 2000 4door Accords, the back of the seat has a compartment where the flip down arm rest is. It sticks out a little bit causing an uneven surface.

That is the only reason why I won't put the amp on the back of the seat. :kick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Amps under seats often die heat related death... as they don't get any significant airflow or have enough air thats accessible for the heatsinks to draft their own air.

at least in a false floor situation in the trunk, you can use fans to force air through the false floor...

Fans under your seats would be annoying as hell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.