Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting around to putting my amp in my 1998 EX V6 Accord. I've already read all of the threads on this, but they all seem to be referring to the 4 cylinder Accords or maybe just newer ones?

The hole that everyone says to use is not accessable on my V6 (the hole where the clutch would be) You can see it inside the car, but I can't find where it leads into the engine bay!?! The steering column takes up that whole area in the eninge bay. Plus the hole is not a grommet, but kind of a metal punch-out? I'm really stumped here :(

Would anybody with a v6 accord care to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Am I even looking in the right place? Maybe even a picture, diagram or something like that?

-Nate

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The hole is right under the brake booster you won't be able to see if from the engine bay. Pull down the carpet and look for a knockout. I think there are two knockouts, one of them has a rubber plug behind it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the best tool to use for removing the punch-outs? The ones on my V6 are not cut very deep, and I can't get them to budge at all. and there isn't enough room to really swing a hammer or anything like that.

To me it looks like I'm stuck drilling :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Once you get the rubber plug out, you can usually jam a screwdriver or something through that cardboard stuff, then fish the wire through from inside the car. If all else fails you can always tape a hanger to the wire. :)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I used my fingers to rip the punchout in the insulation then again used my fingers and picked up the corner of the plug through so I could pull it back into the cabin. I used a dremel to cut a hole in the plug that was just a hair smaller than the cable so that it would seal good. Make sure the hole isn't too small or the plug will stretch outwards and you'll never get the plug back in the hole. If you make the hole too big use some silicon to seal it afterwards. I tried a blade to cut it, bit it is some thick rubber. I pushed enough wire through the plug to what I thought would reach the battery then put the cable in the hole aiming to a place where I could get to it from the engine bay. After the plug was in I pushed the cable behind the insulation to the corner of the footwell, then ran it back along the foot rails. If you run your power down that side, make sure your RCAs down the middle or other side.

You could also use a knive or blade of some kind to cut the little tabs on the plug, but don't cut them all, but enough so you can get the plug out then the knockout back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much guys for all your info. I'm gonna take another stab at that grommet today after work - That rubber is damn thick!

Is it really recessary to run the RCAs down the other side? I've ran them on the same side with many of my other cars and never noticed any kind of noise interference. I would make more sense if I was powering my interior speakers, but this is just for a mono-block subwoofer amp. All of my interior speakers are powered by my Excelon HU.

Is there other reasons besides noise interference?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The accord was the first car I've owned that had that much electrical noise. I don't know if it is the alternator or what, but I took the whole system out of a prelude that was working great, installed it in the accord and had noise. I double and triple checked everything, even moved grounds and still had the noise. I ran the RCAs down the other side and it cleared up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
illusion said:
The accord was the first car I've owned that had that much electrical noise. I don't know if it is the alternator or what, but I took the whole system out of a prelude that was working great, installed it in the accord and had noise. I double and triple checked everything, even moved grounds and still had the noise. I ran the RCAs down the other side and it cleared up.
It must the Delphi alternators they put in our V6s! Utter crap I tell ya...

Anyway, I'm glad that you told me this - instead of me having to tear my interior apart twice :rolleyes

Thank you again for all your help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips - I finally got it!

Well I finally finished installing my amp and sub yesterday thanks to you guys! I had to cut out the whole center of the grommet in order for my 4-gauge power to fit, but it works!

I ran my RCAs down the passander side by themselves (thank you Illusion!) and am not noticing any interference. The only thing is that the trunk is so tiny and it makes my 12" Kicker L5 sound alot different than in my Monte Carlo - but it still sounds pretty wicked.

Thank you Illusion and everyone else who contributed to this thread!

-Nate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.