Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not as big into the audio scene as I am the power/performance, so my knowledge is limited, hence my question. If I plan to just replace the factory speaks with some decent mid-priced units, and plan to replace the head unit with a midlevel alpine, would I or could I benefit from alpine's 4x60watt amp. Will it make a difference with my sound quality without the amp --vs.-- with amp. Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
dano104 said:
I'm not as big into the audio scene as I am the power/performance, so my knowledge is limited, hence my question. If I plan to just replace the factory speaks with some decent mid-priced units, and plan to replace the head unit with a midlevel alpine, would I or could I benefit from alpine's 4x60watt amp. Will it make a difference with my sound quality without the amp --vs.-- with amp. Thanks for all the info!
Yes there is a Day and Night difference between ampped aftermarket speaker and non ampped. The amp dont need to be super expensive either, even a cheap brand name or proven off-brand amp will do the job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SuperAkuma said:
Yes there is a Day and Night difference between ampped aftermarket speaker and non ampped. The amp dont need to be super expensive either, even a cheap brand name or proven off-brand amp will do the job.
Which brand do you all suggest?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I like Alpine amplifiers. Just make sure you get an amp with a comparable RMS power for your speakers.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Alpine is good...but...just like Mugen is good. Great product..but it's a fucking ripoff.

Check out:

1) Elemental Designs
2) JL Audio (expensive but way better than alpine)
3) Alpine :)

What kind of speakers are you planning on getting?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I've never heard of elemental.... but yeah JL over all. If you are looking for something at a slightly better price go for alpine.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Its a good idea not to amplify the rear speakers...it ruins your sound stage.

What kind of speakers are you buying? You have to pay attention to the OHM rating and the power ratings of the amps

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gurusan said:
Its a good idea not to amplify the rear speakers...it ruins your sound stage.

What kind of speakers are you buying? You have to pay attention to the OHM rating and the power ratings of the amps
Probably just some 2 or 3 way pioneers, or alpines, nothing fancy. Wow I was allways told you had to amp the rears...... I'm really big into home theater setups, and sound stage is a term we use in reference to that (but I'm also talking like 7.1 systems). lol I learn something new every day. So you would suggest against amping the rears?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
dano104 said:
Probably just some 2 or 3 way pioneers, or alpines, nothing fancy. Wow I was allways told you had to amp the rears...... I'm really big into home theater setups, and sound stage is a term we use in reference to that (but I'm also talking like 7.1 systems). lol I learn something new every day. So you would suggest against amping the rears?
If that is the case there is no need to spend a lot of money on the amp, unless if you want to. If you are buying $50 coaxial speaker, no need to spend $300 on the amp, unless if you plan to upgrade later. A nice 2 channel amp for about $100 will do the job. If you want rear, just let the HU power it.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I like the sound of amplified fronts/rears depending on how you do it. You just want to make sure that the rears dont overplay the fronts unless you like having rear sound more.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
well if you are going w/ some coaxials up front i'd just power them off your HU. also your HU does not do 60 x 4. that max rating in which its a term that is used to market. your HU most likely does anywhere between 10-15 watts per channel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.