Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a new Blackmaxx 4x125 amp for $70 and a jl 10w3d4. its hooked up on one of the chanels right now at a 2 ohm load. would it make a difference if i ran the coils in series (8 ohm) and bridged the amp for about 300w rms? theoreticly, it would be cleaner, but would i need to worry about the sub coils heating up from the added resistance, since it is the same amount of power? my real question, however, is which is easier on the amp? (i have a three year warranty on the sub.)

i searched but didn't find anything that was similar.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
im not really sure what you are talking about....

Let me see if I can get this stright. You have a dvd 4ohm sub. You can run it at 2ohm or at 8ohm. If you run it at 2ohm at 300wRMS 8ohm will only get you something like 100wRMS or so.

I dont see a reason to run it at 8ohm if your amp can handle 4ohm or 2ohm

And why are you using a 4 channel amp for a dvc sub?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
its easier on the amp at the 8 ohm mono but you only get half the power. If that amp is stable at 2 ohm stereo i would just leave it how it is now. Or if you you can swithc the sub out for a dual 2 and hook that up in series to the bridged channels of the amp

·
Registered
189 Posts
y not just match the channels and bridge it since u said it was a 4 channel.

run the front on the left coil and the rear on the right coil?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
csuho said:
y not just match the channels and bridge it since u said it was a 4 channel.

run the front on the left coil and the rear on the right coil?

That will Fuckup the sub... :bh

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no. the amp puts out 500 w rms at 4 ohms bridged. at 8 ohms, its like 300 w rms bridged. or i can run it at 2 ohms on one channel and get 250 watts. but 8 ohms would be less distortion than 2 ohms, right? and since distortion kills speakers, wouldn't it be better to run it at 8 ohms if i can get the same, or more, power?

the reason im running the sub on a 4 channel amp is because i wanted one amp to run my entire system. i have a 87 accord hatch, and not much room to mount stuff, and the amp was $70. im still in h.s., and i wanted some clean bass, but not enough to rattle my $675 car apart, nor did i want to spend more money on the audio than on the whole car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts