Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i wanted to know if you run an amp with out a cd? i know the patch cords must plug int o the cd player so the amp gets thew signal. But can it be done with out swapping out the stock player? My friend has toyota 4 runner and dosent want to get a new player but wants the system (subs and amp)

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is possible, and there are two ways that you can hook up an amplifier to a factory radio.

1) Some amplifiers have speaker level inputs. For example, most new Rockford amps have a speaker level input plug that plugs into the amp. For the amplifier to get it's signal, you'd run wires from the speaker level input plug and tap into the front or rear speaker wires.

2) The other option is using a high-low or line output converter. This part is sold at most car audio stores. It's a small box with a set of speaker wires on one side and rca plugs on the other side. With this, you tap into the front or rear speaker wires and can then run an rca to the amp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you want to run an amplifier with a factory head unit my suggestion is to go with a JL audio amplifier. They have one of the best built in line converters on the market, and work very well with a factory headunit. Otherwise you will need a line out converter to get your signal to your amp like allkingz said, and you will also want a delay turn on, to prevent your subs from popping everytime you turn the car on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts