Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does neone know how to keep the amp cool and from overheating? when the crap starts overheating it sounds nasty...

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
get a better amp? or build a cooled amp rack some crossflow fans.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
illusion said:
get a better amp? or build a cooled amp rack some crossflow fans.
thats what i did... my amp rack is made out of MDF. it has one fan on one end blowing in, and another fan on the opposite side to get all the hot air out. a nice plexiglass on top for show:D

·
Banned
846 Posts
what amp is it??? Sounds kinda like a Rockford amp. They get hot enough to fry eggs on sometimes, but still stay strong. I dont know how they pull it off. Build a good amp rack, with some good fans. Keep the air circulating through the amp rack like GS was saying. Either make two fans that blow in, and a hold on the other side, or one blowing in, and one blowing out.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
the suck blow theory doesn't work as good as having 2 fans blowing in the same direction with a hole on the other side as big as the 2 fans. Having 2 fans blowing out will allow more air to come in. or 2 fans sucking in will make more air blow out.

Other things you can do is mount it correctly. ie atleast 1 inch around the heat sink. don't mount it upside down... Make sure the impedence of the subs isn't lower than what the amp is stable to, and make sure teh gains aren't turned up too high.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A lot of times a better ground will help. I don't mean just screwing it down to a better location. I mean using an actual bolt and bolting your ground to the chassis of the car.

A good ground cures sooo much.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
shoot, for some reason my phoenix gold amp seems to over heat at times and thats juss powering my fronts, while my alpine is juss gettin a lil warm while they're powering my two subs.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Also make sure that the charging system is providing at least 14v to the amplifier.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
GldCrzy said:
shoot, for some reason my phoenix gold amp seems to over heat at times and thats juss powering my fronts, while my alpine is juss gettin a lil warm while they're powering my two subs.
You might want to make sure that you're not running the ohms too low. Make sure its all hooked up correctly, or that will cause it to overheat. Also, make sure the amp gets enough air flow over it.

Another thing i was told, i don't know if its true or not, but some of the older amps have trouble overheating when they are mounted vertically, because the heat doesn't go up off the heatsink. Can someone verify that information, or is it just B.S.

I do know that if your amp is starved for power then it is going to overheat. Another cause could be if that you are overdriving the amp, check the gains because they could be turned up too high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts