Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a 1995 Civic EX Coupe. I want to put in the Angel Eyes as well as replace the stock light bulbs with an HID conversion kit. Has anyone had problems or success in doing both? I am concerned that the Angel Eyes might not accept the HID wiring.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
the wiring for the bulbs from the projectors going to hid will be totally different anyways... you'll need ballasts, bulbs, projector lenses, and all the wiring to go along with it... hidplanet.com has some of the best priced kits ive seen (and most complete) they go for ~450 i think... search some of the threads, as for the hids in the projector housing, you should be ok... but you'll have to take the actual housing apart and measure the projectors that come with the angel eyes to get the size closest to what you'll be working with

there are some great threads on retrofitting on here, just gotta search for em

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Just plz make sure you do it right so you don't blind some poor driver.

:) Good luck

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I don't have HIDs or know anything about them...but I've seen civics driving around with HID's that for some reason aren't "clear" looking at all and have TONS of glare and seem to spray light everywhere (my eyes)

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
not to mention extremely dangerous....exactly why aftermarket HID's are illegal

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
1995civic49ers said:
Hey All,

I have a 1995 Civic EX Coupe. I want to put in the Angel Eyes as well as replace the stock light bulbs with an HID conversion kit. Has anyone had problems or success in doing both? I am concerned that the Angel Eyes might not accept the HID wiring.

Thanks.

Dont bother with angel's. Go with projectors. :clap

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Dont bother with angel's. Go with projectors.
i hate it when people say this....

they are the same thing, other than "halos" around the projectors... theres absolutely no difference (aside from differing manufacturers) between projectors and angel eyes/halos...

also , the glare everyone is talking about usually occurs when some jackass just throws the bulbs in the oem housing with no projector to guide the arc... they have to be done right, or dont do it at all...

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Yeah commador can probably help you....but he did his retrofit in an OEM housing...a projector housing might take a little more playin with

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
the trick would be to make whatever projector lens you use fit into that housing, cause the projector that comes with the angel eyes wouldn't be able to control the HID beam
exactly, thats why you match (as closely as possible anyways) the hid projectors you would have purchase to fit into the housing to minimize any fabrication needed. there is gobs of info on retrofitting out there, it will take a little bit of research and common sense to do, but it shouldn't be too difficult

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Hello Everybody!

Ok, Ive seen it done all 3 ways, a proper retro, rebased capsules in aftermarket projectors, and rebased in 100% factory housings. From best (both output, and glare control) to least, it goes:

retro
rebased bulbs in aftermarket projectors
rebased bulbs in oem headlamps

Now, There is a good example, of a d2s capsule in an aftermarket housing. Surprisingly, the guy that did it, matched the arc where the filament would be pretty well, and it didnt glare (like a retro) but the output wasnt the best, but better than OEM with rebased bulbs.

That aside, the aftermarket projectors will actually be beneficial in providing you with a nice base to install your OEM projectors. Valeo's are very small, and have great output. And are cheap too. Just crack the aftermarket housings open, and install the valeo's where the low beam projector was. It wont be hard since they were close to the same size. Aim them, and then reassemble it all. Wiring, this is tricky, but thankfully I found a way to make it easy. All you need is a 40A relay, 12AWG wire, 30A fuse & holder, 14AWG wire, and a diode. Pop your steering wheel cover open, and remove the headlight switch. Look in your shop manual and find pin "g". Wire your 14AWG to this, and insert your diode here (polarity counts!!) Run this wire to your relay, and tap your battery, and ground to the relay as well. Send the power to the ballasts, and through the fuses. You now have fully fuctional low beams, seperate from your highs, so if you toggle the "flash to pass" your ballasts do not see any juice. Here is the benefit of your projector headlights. They have a separete high beam bulb. And since you dont have bi-xenons (like I do) you can still retain a high beam. These will wire to your factory harness.

Thats the basics, I will cover more later if you need any questions answered. :)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/special-topics.htm

Some reading. In most cases, a glare shield will be enough to remove the harmful glare produced by HID bulbs in non HID housings. I have the osram kit that came with the full shield. I have not noticed any glare when standing outside the car, the light ouput is still many times greater than stock, and the beam pattern doesn't look any different than the stock halogens, plus, you get to keep the look of your stock headlamps. IMO, I don't like how projectors or projector retros look on civics. 6th gens atleast, but I guess that doesn't apply to your case, plus it seems like you where going to get projectors in the first place

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not really set in stone about projectors. I was just following a recommendation from a friend about Angel Eyes, and was doing some research. If anybody has a different idea, please feel free to list it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts