Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres teh deal i know shit about cars, and my check engine light came on. Its been like that since i had 1000 mile, now I have 15,000 miles. I know I need a basic tune up , but Im mad broke (just had a kid) now, I wanted to know what will make the check engine light go away. And if Its easy enough to learn to do myself.
Thanks for your help

· Registered
9,883 Posts
ludakris said:
Heres teh deal i know shit about cars, and my check engine light came on. Its been like that since i had 1000 mile, now I have 15,000 miles. I know I need a basic tune up , but Im mad broke (just had a kid) now, I wanted to know what will make the check engine light go away. And if Its easy enough to learn to do myself.
Thanks for your help
you better check on what the light is. there are 2 different light. one says the check eninge light[red only]. if that light comes on there is something wrong with your engine. you need to get it diagnosed or soemthing.
then there are the routine maitenance light, its yellow[older model honda changes from green to yellow to orange,new ones blink etc.]. if this light comes on then its normal, you just need to get oil change maitenance etc. you can reset these yoru self.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
1- put key in ignition
2-push down on your odometer reset button and hold it down
3-turn your key to "ON", but dont start the car
4-continue holding down the odometer button for like 10 secs while the key is "ON" position
5-turn key to off, release the button

your done.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
ShabsterTL said:
I tried those steps quite a few times, but doesn't seem to work.
are you sure you push on the right button?
make sure its the trip reset button.
and make sure that you hold it down long enough.
try releasing the button after like 10 secs, then turn the key to off.
make sure you follow the steps precisely.

let me know.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn Shabs you stupid!!!! I'm goin to whip u with my accord!!! J/k

DIVINEWISDOM:
My friend took his battery terminals off for a few minutes to reset his chk engine light. He said it worked. U think thats a good idea

· Registered
9,883 Posts
ludakris said:

DIVINEWISDOM:
My friend took his battery terminals off for a few minutes to reset his chk engine light. He said it worked. U think thats a good idea
but why would you want to go through all that trouble? i suggest doing just the reset normally. i am not sure if unplugging the battery works that well, becasue the memory is in the odmeter. when your computer is back on it will intererface with the odometer and determine your milage, and might bring the light back on. but i dont think itll hurt the car any though if you do disconnect the battery.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
ShabsterTL said:
I tried those steps quite a few times, but doesn't seem to work.
here dont know what car you have: try all haha

3.5RL 1996-02 To reset "MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" light, turn ignition off, press and hold the SELECT and RESET buttons. Turn ignition and hold buttons for 10 seconds until the indicator resets.

2.2CL, 2.3CL, 2.5TL, 3.0CL, 3.2TL 1995-01
To reset "MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" light, insert the ignition key into the slot to the left of the light on the instrument panel.

Integra 1994-00 To reset "MAINT REQD" light, press the reset switch located to the right of the steering column under the dash.

Legend (without Information System) 1988-90 Reset "MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" light by inserting the ignition key into the slot located directly below the light.
Legend (with Information System) 1988-90 When "OIL/FILTER CHANGE DUE" is displayed on the Information System, press the "SERVICE RESET" button for three seconds. This will reset the system to 7,500 miles. If you want to set a shorted interval, press the "SERVICE RESET" button and the arrow button together for three seconds. Then push the arrow until the mileage that you want to set is shown on the display, push the "SET" button.

· Registered
7 Posts
yO, ludakris..... don't make me get to LB and smack the bejesus outta u ! :cool:

Divine:
I tried those steps eggggzakkly as you said, but it din't work. I was holding that RESET button (for odometer)for a whole minute. I have 2002 TL Type S.

Im gonna go home tonight & try doing it one more time, will let you know.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
ShabsterTL said:
yO, ludakris..... don't make me get to LB and smack the bejesus outta u ! :cool:

Divine:
I tried those steps eggggzakkly as you said, but it din't work. I was holding that RESET button (for odometer)for a whole minute. I have 2002 TL Type S.

Im gonna go home tonight & try doing it one more time, will let you know.
try this then

2.2CL, 2.3CL, 2.5TL, 3.0CL, 3.2TL 1995-01
To reset "MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" light, insert the ignition key into the slot to the left of the light on the instrument panel.

or this: Press the select and reset bottons then turn the ignition on. Hold the buttons down for 5 secs. [i know this worked for this other guy, he has '02 TL]

if that doest work, then let me know. and tell me exactly what you did.

· Registered
7 Posts
Bro...
Nothing seems to work. I've tried your trick every way around, but the main't. required light is still on.
I hold the reset button for 10 sec after turning the ignition to on. I tried holding both Select & Reset together, but the Temp control started to jump up & down. There isn't any switch or button on the left side of the ignition & the Select Resent buttons are on the dash board.
Mine is 2002 TL Type S.

· Registered
9,883 Posts
ShabsterTL said:
Bro...
Nothing seems to work. I've tried your trick every way around, but the main't. required light is still on.
I hold the reset button for 10 sec after turning the ignition to on. I tried holding both Select & Reset together, but the Temp control started to jump up & down. There isn't any switch or button on the left side of the ignition & the Select Resent buttons are on the dash board.
Mine is 2002 TL Type S.
ok i just called up acura of downey for ya. here is what the service advisor said
" there are two buttons on the dash. hold both down at the same time and turn the key to 'ON' position, and wait till the light goes away."

there you have it dude. if that dont work, then you got a lemon :D . try it and let me know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.