Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of 2000 I installed me a JRSC and added all the goodies in the following month. I dynoed @ about 200 whp with the 5.5psi setup.

At the beginning of 2002 I upgraded to 9psi with a stepper pulley and wired a Haltech E6k engine management in. The engine blows after running 1/2 hour on the dyno.

In the last 2 month a DRAG III kit was installed and with lots of other goodies like lower CR pistons, rods and stuff.

Next week on Thuesday is dyno time and I´m thinking of about 350-400 hp. I will be able to boost about 1.3 Bar, cause the cr is @ 9.1:1.

· Registered
302 Posts
I agree: Lower compression only gives more room for error in your tuning. It isn't a safety patch to run as much boost as you want. Good tuning, fuel management and long hours on the dyno are the closest anyone can come to a safety patch. And still one boost happy saturday night and all of your work is "blown"...

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do the ignition and fuel tuning with an Haltech E6k standalone.

I have Eagle rods and JE pro series pistons + Crower valve springs and ti retainers, AEM FPR and 440cc injectors + stronger Walbro fuel pump.

I run an 7 row oil cooler and my turbo is watercooled. I have too a Greddy type-S blow off and Tial wastegate. Boost is controled with an Apexi AVC-R.

I know much people who runs high boost on stock sleeves. It is all about tuning. My tuner had tuned more than 30 cars with a Haltech, so I trust him, and he know what to do.

We drive with the car to the dyno with a laptop, lamda meter, EGT gauge (for partial throttle tuning). Then we hook the car up on the dyno and make the WOT runs. This will take one day.

· Registered
542 Posts
IMO, all the tuning in the world is not going to stop your stock sleeves from cracking. It's just a matter of how long your block can take the abuse. Some people can push 15+ psi for years on stock sleeves, other people can only do it for a couple of months. It's just a really big gamble your taking. Why not spend the extra cash to sleeve the block while you cracked it open for the rebuild? 1.3 bar is a lot of boost for a B- series open deck block to handle. My friend has almost the same setup as you do, except he was runing Accel DFI. Built up the bottom end, but left the sleeves stock. Two runs on the street at 17psi and BAM, cracked two cylinder sleeves. He ruined the block. Good luck, I hope you reach your HP goals.

· Registered
666 Posts
Good tuning will allow you to run high boost on an open-deck block for a while, but it will eventually fail. The issue is not predetonation, but the amount of hp you are generating. Eventually, it will fatigue the block and you will start breaking things. Probably a mysterious bearing failure at first, then it will get worse and worse. Once the block is fatigued, it is ruined and you should just throw it away. It may take 10K miles; it may take 20K miles, but it will eventually happen if you make high hp with an open deck.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I´ve talked to Golden Eagle at some time and they do not ship the sleeves. I have to send them my block.........but since I live in Europe it is very expensive to ship the block.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.