Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 1991 honda accord dx with a good history lol

car has been in a flood twice *not running while flooded* and just deep enough to submerge the ecm and tcm incase i need to check something from that

basically to describe this idle issue

first i start the car idle is perfect starts off at 1200 or so and as it heats up it goes down to around 700 800 or so and i can let the car run at idle for hours and idles perfect as soon as i push the gas the idle starts surging to about 2000 rpm down to 1200 and back and forth if i shut the car off for 20 seconds and start it back up its fine but as soon as i apply throttle it acts up again

now i have retorqued the cold idle air valve back in its seat fully replaced the IACV with a new honda IACV *expensive* and still does the same thing

if i pull the intake off and plug the top hole *IACV* with my finger while its pulsing idle drops back down to normal and i have alot of suction on my finger

and no check engine light by the way

i have a very little budget to put in the car after i pay all my bills etc.. so any advice to diagnose maybe the ecm for voltages or the tcs sensor would be greatly appreciated

thank you! :D

· Registered
823 Posts
I'm not sure on the 90-93 Accord if they come with FITV. My F22B1 and H22A did that too when I got done with the swap. They'll warm up nice and normal until you tap the gas pedal like you said. I know that the IACV won't cause that eratic surge but to make the motor idle higher than it should be in some areas in the RPM range. Where as the FITV will most likely be your best bet.

Just got done with my H22 swap and motor was surging like hell after I gave it a little gas. I sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake manifold, vacuum hoses, IACV, etc. Found nothing. So back to what I think I know was the FITV. I took it apart and found what my problem was. The wax ball inside backed out pretty far. So I screwed it back down nice and tight. Boom, no more surge. I can rev and tap the gas pedal as much as I want, Idle Surge ain't coming back.

Look in the FAQ for more info on how to and where to look for the FITV.

· Registered
146 Posts
This may sound stupid but when I was replacing my intake mani on my civic I forgot to drain my coolant and it spilled out on the garage floor. The idle was surging as mentioned and I was so frustrated because I didn't know what it was. My buddy's taurus did this and it was a TPS Sensor. but my car is not equipped with this sensor. I found out the next day it had very little coolant and after adding coolant it went away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.