Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

another newb swap question

925 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  solblu 
#1 ·
ok so im looking into buying a dell sol though im not too shure which model to pic. Now Im planning to basicly do a b18b swap into it right away so it doesnt really mater to me what motor is in the sol though since the si vtec came with the b series engine then it would have the same mounts as the b18b right? though what would be the difference in swapping a b18b in a si or s or si vtec

thx

#4 ·
it really won't make much of a difference which model sol you drop it in...but if you got one with a b16 in it why would you want to bother swapping an ls motor in? b18b...that's ls...if you plan on doing some motor work, ie: turbo...there would be no point in wasting your money on a swap...

#6 ·
Phantom_Sol said:
^^ Torque

true the ls motor has more torque but if he spends the money on the swap what then? he has more torque and less hp than a b16 all at the expense of the swap...if he got the sol with a b16 in it he can just use that money for the swap towards a bolt on turbo, say a greddy kit or whatever, and have way more tq and hp than anything in stock configuration or anything that's slighty modified but I don't know, some view things a little differently...I would love to have an ls in my sol, but that's only bc I have a d16 in mine, but then again I would like anything that's dohc...but I am leaning more towards boosting the z6...it'll be more fun smokin all the lil punks runnin around here thinkin that they're all that...haha... :evil

#10 ·
If you get a S or Si you'll need this too: Del Sol VTEC shift linkage, A/C bracket, about $300 new from buypartsdirect.com (nearly impossible to find used) B series Tranny (the LS one sucks if that's what you have get rid of it) New Radiator (or hoses), exhause manifold or header, that's all you are missing of the top of my head I'm sure there is more.

If you get a VTEC Sol (no such thing as Si VTEC) it already has a B16 in it and you would be stupid to swap. Sell the B18 and get some suspension upgrades.

#11 ·
solblu said:
If you get a S or Si you'll need this too: Del Sol VTEC shift linkage, A/C bracket, about $300 new from buypartsdirect.com (nearly impossible to find used) B series Tranny (the LS one sucks if that's what you have get rid of it) New Radiator (or hoses), exhause manifold or header, that's all you are missing of the top of my head I'm sure there is more.

If you get a VTEC Sol (no such thing as Si VTEC) it already has a B16 in it and you would be stupid to swap. Sell the B18 and get some suspension upgrades.
I agree with solblu...swapping out a b16 for a b18b is stupid...but if you happen to get one of the lesser powered del sols, get the si...it doesn't have power locks which sucks!, but you get power everything else...and then you can swap in the ls motor...let us know what you decide to do...

#14 ·
ok i was just thinking if i bought the del sol wit hthe b16 and went ls/vtec i wouldnt have to change any hting write like it would be the same mounts/ axles and since id use the head off the b16 then i would have to change the ecu and the b16 tranny would bolt right up to it also right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.