Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a project car, probably a civic, after I graduate. However, I know nothing when it comes to Japanese cars, I was raised working/tuning american cars. Now, however, I'm really interested in building a civic. Can you guys point me in the right direction to attain all the begginers info that you know about? I.E. websites, other forums, parts websites, etc.....

Just to let you know some of my goals, If I build a civic It will probably be 1997-2000, I want around 200-250 HP, I want to be able to make it really handle and stop on a dime. I have very extensive mechanical skills ( I think ) and a expanding tool collection, so most of the work I would like to do my self.

Thanks for all the help and advice offered!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,628 Posts
go with a 92-95 hatch with a b series swap and boost then tune the suspension and brakes accordingly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CFactor said:
go with a 92-95 hatch with a b series swap and boost then tune the suspension and brakes accordingly
How much should I be looking to spend for this year and model? Where should I start modification wise? suspension, brakes, or engine.

This will not be a daily driver, It will be a weekend car/project car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,788 Posts
dano104 said:
How much should I be looking to spend for this year and model? Where should I start modification wise? suspension, brakes, or engine.

This will not be a daily driver, It will be a weekend car/project car.

screw the b series! go with a k20!! :number1

lol thats only if you have good amount of money to spend

i would go suspension first
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
96-00 models have better creature comforts and fewer things to fix considering it will be a newer shell. Downside is that they are obd2 which could be an obstacle when it comes to tuning and being able to pass state inspections/emissions.

However 92-95 models are obd1 and much easier when it comes to tuning/emissions.

Best advice that I can give right now is take your time doing your homework. What do you want to do with this project? Is the civic the best vehicle to start with? How much would you be comfortable spending on a project like this? How much will it cost to the civic there?

The biggest thing to watch out for in the import market is that a lot of vendors sell crappy products so it is hard to weed through quality merchandise and pointless crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,788 Posts
kommon_sense said:
The biggest thing to watch out for in the import market is that a lot of vendors sell crappy products so it is hard to weed through quality merchandise and pointless crap.
i completly agree with that, if your not sure about something, thats what we are here for :byye
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kommon_sense said:
96-00 models have better creature comforts and fewer things to fix considering it will be a newer shell. Downside is that they are obd2 which could be an obstacle when it comes to tuning and being able to pass state inspections/emissions.

However 92-95 models are obd1 and much easier when it comes to tuning/emissions.

Best advice that I can give right now is take your time doing your homework. What do you want to do with this project? Is the civic the best vehicle to start with? How much would you be comfortable spending on a project like this? How much will it cost to the civic there?

The biggest thing to watch out for in the import market is that a lot of vendors sell crappy products so it is hard to weed through quality merchandise and pointless crap.
I am living in Illinois, which has very leanient if even existent emissions laws. So I'm not too concerned with emissions. This will be a very extensive project, I will be sharing with my father I'm 29, and he is 58. I should have my BS as a Registered Nurse in about 14 more months, so I would like to buy the car itself for around 4k-6k, and then turn around and set the modification limit not to exceed 10k-12k. (This may be a little on the optomistic side)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only potential problem I may have is the fact that I live in a VERY small town, that is primarily supporting of only american made cars. So all the parts that I will be using will have to be ordered, and my tuning support will be virtually non-existent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
There are a lot of good online companies to order parts from. I order practically everthing online. The only issue that you might run into is finding a good place to do machine work. A lot of domestic shops can't do machine work on our little hondas with such tight tolerances and their small 3-3.5" bores.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top