Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I use NOD32 as my anti virus software, and it updates itself maybe 2 or 3 times a day every other day. I just turned my computer on now and the windows security alert came up saying that virus protection is not found.

I just checked when NOD32 last updated, and it was yesterday (3/8/09). I just did a manual update and it said that no update is needed. Should I uninstall then reinstall? Why would windows not recognize it now? I have been using it since I got this computer about 2 years ago and never had this problem before.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know i can ignore it, but i want to try to figure this one out. i have it doing an in depth scan just to see if anything is there, but if there isnt, i may just uninstall and reinstall. i dunno...

you have that link p0p? maybe ill check it out.

· Registered
8,403 Posts
your windows might have updated and thats what really set it off..

check that, if u havent yet, if window has updated...

i too use symantec...industrial strength though--is that the one u talkin bout Type SH?

· Registered
3,077 Posts
I don't get virus's. I have AVG installed but its never running. I only scan when I'm going through crack sites which isnt that often anymore. I also use security permission on temporary folders where many web based active X controls and java controls like to script from: Mainly "Temporary Internet Files"
gpedit.msc is your friend.

I don't pay for anti virus software, I hope none of you all do. You can scan online for free as well here: Http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Then theres several different ways to scan for adware, such as Ad-Aware, and Spybot SD.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Depends on your antivirus whether windows wants to recognize it. Basically it wont unless the program is on microsoft's whitelist for approved programs. Ignore it if the program works for you, windows is a bitch about 3rd party software. I use AVG, spybot, antimalware bytes, and adaware, and all of them are recognized.

· Registered
8,403 Posts
Depends on your antivirus whether windows wants to recognize it. Basically it wont unless the program is on microsoft's whitelist for approved programs. Ignore it if the program works for you, windows is a bitch about 3rd party software. I use AVG, spybot, antimalware bytes, and adaware, and all of them are recognized.

fuk all those programs do? why not just use ONE program.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
fuk all those programs do? why not just use ONE program.
Because its impossible to have one program that checks for everything. Each of my programs scans for separate things, and some things are scanned in different ways.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Windows is being homsexual as usual. This is my guess. I'm leaning toward windows updated and isnt quite recognizing your software right. Either way, if you ani-virus program is updated and running in your system processes, its working, weather or not that POS windows security menu says it is, at least in my experience, up here our computers have some Kaspersky shit loaded on them I hate it, but my windows says its "not working" all the time, but when I check to see if the programs process is running, it always is, regardless of windows.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, i turned auto updates off, cause they are a pita for me. i am on windows xp. i just uninstalled and reinstalled and it seems to be ok now. NOD32 has a whole suite of tools for scanning, quarantine etc.. ive been happy with it so far, i think ill stick with it at least until i get a new laptop.

thanks guys.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
No single anti virus program or spyware scanning program catches it all. Thats why its important to have 2 if possible. AVG will get most threats, but it usually doesn't do well with spyware. So when I get a PC to fix my normal onslaught of scanning is AVG, Trendmicros site, Spybot SD, Ad-aware,(hijack this in RARE cases) if I can't get rid of it with those 2 I either hand edit problems out of the registry and/or files, or I re-install the systems OS.

If the problem is recent you can usually check for newly created/modified files on your computer and single out the problem with some experience.

Another thing that you can do is always partition your drive out so that you have a operating system and a storage side of your hard drive. Its also a good idea to "ghost" your OS side and save it onto the other partition so IF these problems arise you can just simply ghost your OS from the backup you have created. Doing this once a week and alternating backups is about the best way to prevent these problems. Ghosting is immensely faster than format/re-install. Mainly because you don't have to re-install drivers.

Be careful using such partitioning tools as "partition magic" often called "partition tragic" because some people have wiped out their entire drive with this sometimes helpful tool.

Anyone want some help with PCs? just PM me I'll be glad to lend what knowledge I can.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
All I do is once a month hook up an extra harddrive and update that, then swap it whenever the main drive gets old and slow. Much easier then ghosting or restoring IMO. Both drives are the same, so all I have to do is copy over any music or game files. Since the extra has all the programs installed and updated once a month, it only takes 5 minutes to be back up and running.

· Premium Member
6,822 Posts
honestly i hate NOD32 i used it on 3 systems and had nothing but headaches with it, it seriously crippled the machines, ever since ive used a good firewall and corp symantec, and had no issues, and thats the most i would reccomend, if you end up with issues beyond that point it is generally easy to fix manually

· Registered
2,529 Posts
I dislike symantec very much. Even their uninstaller tool doesn't uninstall everything. I've had more problems with that application than it is worth! AVG is pretty good, and I've heard that Avast is superior on Vista than AVG, but have not actually tried it.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, since i uninstalled and reinstalled and NOD32 did an autoupdate, the windows security went away. i guess i am good now until the next bad thing happens :rolleyes

i have this version as a torrent d/l with a crack that allows for the update to go on infinitely, so far its been working great and for free, so i cant complain.

when i get a new laptop with vista i will probably just buy the legite version.

thanks for the help guys.

· Registered
8,403 Posts
type sh, can u repost that link of the corp symantec pls? if not, its cool.

· Registered
974 Posts
Avira and Spybot are the best IMO plus they are free. I use it to protect my custom built $4,200 PC with 2TB of HDD Space.

Vista 64 Ultimate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.