Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
CRVTEC0WNZJ00 said:
Test drove an 06 yesterday and elft the traction control/vehicle control on and the car began to get sideways 1 or 2x so I might just try and get one. I want an 06 because theres a pretty good deal going on them for a lease and then into a buy.
^ good choice

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Z-slut said:
I think you're missing the point that it's not about the weight difference and 40hp either...the Z well makes up for that deficit with gobs of torque, and generally speaking, torque is what gets you off the line any day of the week.

The 350Z pulls out 230lb-ft to the rear wheels
The S2K pulls 146lb-ft, and that's a significant difference

Plus, I hate to burst your bubble, but the S2K on a dyno only actually puts 210 hp to the wheels, not 240...thus making it a 70hp deficit.

Look, I'm not a Honda hater, in fact, I have much respect for the S2K...for what it is.

I was just venting cuz your boy pissed me off, talking about those "Nissan pieces of sh!t"...and I felt I should defend it.

For the record, I have crushed many a S2K on trackday, and that's primarily because of the long straightaways. But you're right, they do outhandle (driven properly) the Z in the hairpins and the tougher chicanes.

But in practical daily driving, I chose the Z over the stook because you didn't have to beg for the power...it's always there.

Also, I am 6'3", so I didn't really fit into the Honda! haha...

End rant.
AP2s put down 162 lbft of torque. ;) and I'm just curiouse about this long straightaway thing. I understand that off the line you will pull on a S2k but if you are exiting a corner and going on to a straight then I don't think you would gain that much...if any. I understand you have more power but S2ks are lighter and engine is making power all the way up to 8k or 9k and S2k has better aerodynamics

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Z-slut said:
Better aerodynamics? Are you high?
The 350Z has one of the lowest drag coefficients in the sportscar world (.29)...and I guarantee the S2K's CD is not that low.
I am willing to bet money on that.
Lighter? Yes. More aerodynamic? No.

Besides. the whole lighter/better aerodynamics thing doesn't really hold too much water I 'm afraid...nobody on a normal track is going to be going fast enough to be adversely affected by wind resistance. :rolleyes

Problem with the F20 is, in order to keep up with higher hp opponents, you absolutely HAVE to keep the revs above 6K to come out of a corner with any authority...and they have to stay in that 6-9K range at ALL TIMES...or the car instantly transforms into a Civic.

They corrected the problem a tad with the F22, i know. But it's not a monumental difference.

I autocrossed in a S2K a couple times, and found myself not enjoying the effort required to hang with the big boys. Felt like I had to pay so much attention to the rev range that I fucked up my approach and exits.
Or, maybe I'm just a shitty driver. :noo
(Although I do remember the Honda gearbox being exceptionally nice).

Anyways...yes, the Z is heavier and feels porkier around corners but again, the speeds don't get high enough for aerodynamics and power to weight to be much of a factor, and there is enough useable torque at any rpm to stay ahead.
i think my confusion lies where you said you were blowing people away on the straights...in my mind i'm thinking you are talking about on the track...not on auto-x. so i think, you are talking mainly about auto-x. in which case my rebuttal changes abit. yes you'll be able to pull harder initially on a straight portion of the auto-x so i see where you are saying you'll have the advantage there. but truthfully any 4banger(especially a honda) on a auto-x course you are going to have to really drive the car and keep it up in the high rev range because you just aren't going to have the low end power that a 6 cyl. is going to give you. S2K should still make up for it though in the turns

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.