Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever had a weird wet moldy smell come from the a/c when its blowing? Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
My wifes car does that,

My remedy is to keep the recycle on while the AC is running and spray a pleasant smelling Lysol Spray into the car and the air ducts, and close the car and run it for a few minutes.

The True Lysol Not just the nice Glade type crap will Kill any bacteria and mold that grows in the air system. Thats what you smell, mold and mildew.

Good luck,

A.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
1Greyteg said:
My wifes car does that,

My remedy is to keep the recycle on while the AC is running and spray a pleasant smelling Lysol Spray into the car and the air ducts, and close the car and run it for a few minutes.

The True Lysol Not just the nice Glade type crap will Kill any bacteria and mold that grows in the air system. Thats what you smell, mold and mildew.

Good luck,

A.
Good I need to try that, my car has that weird smell. I been trying to get rid of that smell. Looks like a trip to wal-mart during the middle of the night...

Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mildew smell....

I noticed that when I recycle the air for long periods of time I get that smell. On rainy days also. I think its the condensation/water from the ac that builds up after a while, then turns to mildew. Spraying with lysol is great, the dealership does that to my car. I avoid recycling the air as much as possible. I have the AC on but with air from outside. Sometimes I put the air on blast, without the ac just to clear the vents.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah I get that smell right after it rains and the car is in the garage overnight. But when I back out and let the car run awhile with the ac on it goes away.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
where am i suppose to spray it into?

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have da same problem but it came about just yesterday.
but yeah, where should i spray da lysol¿ i just put my shift light inside the vents, and i kinda removed(broke) the driver side one and i improvised by putting one of my gauges there temporarily. also, is there like a a/c flush thing we can do, and how¿ and when the a/c is on, what does it use up¿ is there a/c coolant that i should be replacing every now and then¿
sorry bout all the lil questions. it just stinks like lil dog piss.

·
Registered
33 Posts
get some bg products, one in particular, frigi fresh and turn on your ac with the fresh air on then spray the stuff on the intake grille next to the windshield for ten seconds or so and you will be good to go. it has a little bit of a fresh scent but its main goal is to kill all the bacteria, which it excels at............

·
Registered
985 Posts
THANKS for the tip!

·
Registered
333 Posts
MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU SPRAY THAT STUFF INTO THE INTAKE GRILLE, THAT YOUR A/C IS ON, BECAUSE THAT SMELL IS COMING FROM THE A/C EVAPORATOR. ITS MILDEW GROWING ON THE FINS OF THE EVAPORATOR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also check your evaporator case drain tube. If it gets clogged the case will hold more moisture than it should. That moisture will grow mold. The tube is on the right side of the firewall towards the bottom. Running the A/C of fresh on humid days will leave a puddle of water on the ground from the evaporator case under the passenger side behind the front tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts