Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My very first post, for a first time Honda Owner. I own a 1993 Honda Del Sol 1.5L SOHC type S engine vehicle. My last car was an 88 Conquest TSI and naturally I want a little more umph out of my del sol. Does anyone make a turbo kit for the lowly 1.5L S engine? Any information to include links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
yep, check out the turbo forum in here also, you'll get more responses there, just make sure you search and use the stickies at the top of the page before you post a thread that's been covered a billion times, people and mods on here don't really like to answer the same question over and over again. Good luck with ur turbo kit, they're fun as hell :tu

·
Registered
974 Posts
yea, i know you probly dont want to hear it but i'd do an engine swap first. I mean think about it, to turbo your engine you'd spend around 2500 and make around 160, if you pump up the psi. You could swap in a b16 for that if you search around, and make that same 160, plus it would be more reliable and have less milage then your current one.

·
Banned
868 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear most of you mention the B16 motor -- could somone please inform this newbie the displacement of the B16 and what vehicle this engine is found in. I've also heard the 1.6 vtec single cam would be a substitute option - what engine is this and is it worth my time/money.

Thanks,
Danny -- New Honda Owner

·
Registered
974 Posts
b16 displaces 1.6L. its really easy to figure this stuff out on honda motors, say... b16a1< 'b' b seires '16' 1.6L 'a1' specific engine.

the del sol vtec, the highest model came with one. The d16z6, the sohc (single over head cam) is an ok engine, all things considerd, i have it in my car, it makes 127 hp and 106 ft/lbs. the b16 makes 160hp and 111 ft/lbs. for referance you make 102hp and 96 ft/lbs.

While the d16 would be less work (no new engine mounts) and the engine will be cheaper it will only run you about 1000 less (~2000 for d16 to ~3000 for b16) to have it bought and installed. Also the b16 has lots and lots of potential (better for turbo/super charger || more after market support || etc.)

One thing to think about, though, is the d16 gets ~35 mpg on regular fuel, and the b16 gets ~28 on premium. Also the d16 is a little more reliable, if you care about those things.

Hope this was helpful, if you didnt understand anything just post up what and i'll try and explain.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You aren't getting a B16 installed for $3k, and a D16Z6 should only cost about $500 for the motor, ECU & tranny. You could buy a D16 and turbo it for the cost of a B16 swap, but you would end up with about the same power.

None of this really matters though. What Do you want to do with the car? How much power/speed do you want?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is exactly the type of assistance and information I was hoping to get. Personally I am looking to build at least a 14 second del sol. Naturally cost and reliability are a factor. What engine would get a Del Sol into this 14 second realm? Thanks to all that have shared their knowledge so far.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
974 Posts
just hit up UltraMagneticAL hes a mod and posts all over the place. His shop gets em and puts em in for 3000.

and i love super charged b16s. they drive like a stock car, but will put you in the 14s easy. A turbo will do this as well, but makes it a little less streetable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.