Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My 3rd gear synchro isn't doin so well. I can shift fast up to 4300 rpms. Anything higher than that and i'll scratch the gear (makes a horrid grinding noise in tranny/gear box).

My question is, is there a way that i can shift going into third at or near redline, that won't make my gear scratch? and i don't want this to be a huge long drawn out process of neutral, rev, clutch, let out clutch, move the stick around, rev it, pump the brakes, rev some more, then put it in third or some witchcraft like that :D

thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
just double clutch it
thats what i do something
i normally baby my clutch and tranny while im driving so itll last me a very long time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
just rev match it before switching gears. or just "granny" shift it. just baby it for a while like what wU-rAcEr is doing. that'll give u enough time to save up for another tranny.

have u changed the tranny fluid yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
It really doesn't matter; just let it grind until you can afford to fix it. Mine had been grinding since before I bought the car; 1 year and 14,000 miles later I still hadn't had any major problem with the tranny. I just had it replaced earlier this month with a good used tranny; cost me $320 for the tranny and $410 to have it installed with a new OEM clutch ($730 total).

You don't have to skip the gear or anything, just alter your shifting technique a little bit so it doesn't grind as much. Get your tranny fluid changed. Shifting slower and more precisely helps, along with accurate rev matching before you slide the shifter into the gate. What do you think they did back in the days before there were synchros in transmissions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
my 3rd gear does this too. started doing that a few months ago. how do i change my trany fluid? i dont see a drain plug or anywhere to fill it up. anybody know? i have a 90 integra. thanx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
once ur tranny starts 2 grind, changing ur tranny fluid doesnt really help; meaning its not goign 2 go back 2 normal. but from what i heard it is good 2 change ur tranny fluid at least once a yr.

but y did honda make such a weak 3rd gear synchro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
LOL. I asked that same question wU-rAcEr when i had my GS-R. but it's weird, now my LS has that problem in second gear only when i'm racing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, to rev match from 2nd to 3rd all i do is shift to neutral, rev to the appropriate rpm, let off gas and push in clutch and shift or is there some elite way to do it :eek:

Thanks guys for your imput. I'm trying to find a new transmission or atleast a kit so i can rebuild it.

I'm getting an act XTSS and clutchmaster 8lb flywheel so soon enough my only setback will be the transmission. Do you guys have any suggestions about what i should do with the tranny? or should i just get a new 3rd gear synchro?\


thanks a lot guys.

P.S. while getting off the freeway last night, i was at about 65 mph so i shifted down to 4th, then to third but i did it slowly... with the clutch ALL the way to the floor, putting it into third gear, it grinds... hmm, oh well, guess i just can't downshift to 3rd slowly at 65 :p

P.P.S. how do i change the tranny fluid?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
randyman said:
just rev match it before switching gears. or just "granny" shift it. just baby it for a while like what wU-rAcEr is doing. that'll give u enough time to save up for another tranny.

have u changed the tranny fluid yet?

damn dude, everytime i see your car, i go nuts! it looks awsome!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Tegasaurus said:
Do you guys have any suggestions about what i should do with the tranny? or should i just get a new 3rd gear synchro?
Just get a used transmission. Rebuilding yours or at least replacing the synchronizers will cost you $1000+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
changin the tranny fluid often when this problem wasnt there would have been great prevention but you havent been so lucky... A short shifter wont help nothing but let it grind quicker.... no difference just like shifintg a lot faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
JHD_DA said:
my 3rd gear does this too. started doing that a few months ago. how do i change my trany fluid? i dont see a drain plug or anywhere to fill it up. anybody know? i have a 90 integra. thanx.
There is a web site dedicated to our cars. I don't want to give the link, but you can probably find it. Remember:

w
w
w
.
G
eneration
2
I
ntegra
C
lub
.
c
o
m

Run a search on there for Helms. You can download the manual from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
SleeperInteg said:
you guys might wanna try short shifter, it helps a bit when u shift.
Um, no, in fact a short shifter would probably accelerate wear on the synchronizer. Faster shifts mean less time allowing the tranny shafts to be synchronized . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
TegFanatic said:
There is a web site dedicated to our cars. I don't want to give the link, but you can probably find it. Remember:

w
w
w
.
G
eneration
2
I
ntegra
C
lub
.
c
o
m

Run a search on there for Helms. You can download the manual from there.
Dont do that man, that ish will get you banned... jus send PM's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
call me crazy, but isn't rev matching/double clutching a method of downshifting ?!

here's how i understand it. feel free to correct me (but only if you are a tranny guru who is CERTAIN that i am wrong):
for a given speed, second gear is spinning faster than third (which is why when you upshift, the rpm's drop). well, when you upshift, the syncros are trying to speed up third to match the speed of 2nd gear and motor. during a downshift from 3rd to 2nd, while 3rd is spinning slower than 2nd (for that speed), a rev match between gears would speed up the motor to approximate the speed of 2nd.

in his case (an upshift), increasing revs would only widen the rev gap between gear and motor. but when coming from 4th to 3rd, a rev match would be appropriate.

i only know this because i have the same problem. rev matching/double clutching makes it worse. the only thing you can do is shift slower. this allows the rpm's to drop to the same speed as the gear.

(it's weird to be answering a question for once.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that's what i thought too :eek:

Hey guys, im getting a new clutch ACT XTSS and a clutchmasters 8lb flywheel. What should i do, used transmission or get a new 3rd gear synchro? I figure labor wont affect it that much considering they will be doing the clutch and flywheel (i might even do this myself). What would be easier to install? new tranny or new 3rd gear synchro?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Like I said, get a used transmission; you can get one out of a wrecked car from a salvage yard for a couple hundred dollars. Mine was $320 including tax, and there was a money-back guarantee that the tranny would be fine (i.e., no grinding). When I had the labor done, they just charged me what it would have cost to just replace the clutch - since to replace the clutch you have to drop the tranny anyway - so when they put everything back in there they just stuck in the new tranny. That came out to $410 which included tax, all labor, all fluids, a new OEM clutch & flywheel, and all of the clutch mechanism bearings.

To have the synchro replaced you'll have to pay for a very expensive synchro set and they'll have to crack open the case and disassemble it. That is NOT something you'll want to pay for . . . it'll bring your total cost well over $1000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Targa250R said:
Like I said, get a used transmission; you can get one out of a wrecked car from a salvage yard for a couple hundred dollars. Mine was $320 including tax, and there was a money-back guarantee that the tranny would be fine (i.e., no grinding). When I had the labor done, they just charged me what it would have cost to just replace the clutch - since to replace the clutch you have to drop the tranny anyway - so when they put everything back in there they just stuck in the new tranny. That came out to $410 which included tax, all labor, all fluids, a new OEM clutch & flywheel, and all of the clutch mechanism bearings.

To have the synchro replaced you'll have to pay for a very expensive synchro set and they'll have to crack open the case and disassemble it. That is NOT something you'll want to pay for . . . it'll bring your total cost well over $1000.
only 410 bucks?! :eek: jesus, i thought it was muuuch more. My brother (who has a prelude si) was charged 600+ dollars to have his 3rd gear synchro, xtss, and cm flywheel installed. Hmm... where did you have your stuff replaced? thanks for your help
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top