Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... My dad details for a living... He had his own mobile setup and worked for himself for the past 20 years...
Well, for some reason, he doesnt seem to be able to get with the times, and he still charges the same shit he charged 10 years ago...
So, from someone that isnt oldskool, i was curious as to how much you make, on average...

Reason im asking is because I have the opportunity to have him teach me everything he knows, and it doesnt cost more than a few thousand to get a rig assembled...

Thanks

P.s. also, if you can, say where you live/work, because demographics would obviously play a pretty big role...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy SHIT!!!!
Where are you??
My dad has had his business for like 20 or 21 years or smething up in vegas, and he charges like 125 for the same shit...
See, he is DUMB!
And as that he is bringing in around $4k a month...
Ugh, some ppl... lol

·
Registered
864 Posts
It all depends on what products each person uses and how much their cost is. If the cost of supplies is high, they charge higher to offset the cost, and bring a little profit.

Also, shops tend to charge more than mobile detailers. Shops are also a little better for detailer; controlled environment, relaxed, weather does not matter, etc. Mobile is generally quantity over quality most of the time. Mobile also probably brings a little more business because more people will see your rig, whereas a shop is stationary. Another thing that can raise the cost is time. Shops can be busy, and may take a day or 2 to complete your car.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i used to detail for a living

charges varied between size of vehicle and specifics asked for.

usually charged no less than $125.

*edit* we also did pick-up/drop-off service at no charge

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Phre0nBurn said:
But i mean, on average, how much would you make?

As in, income, not per vehicle...
not alot, it was a small area (<100k people) and a 2nd income.. maybe $500/month for each of us.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm not a serious detailer but I learned it all in autopia and I applied at honda dealership for a detailer. They were gonna pay me $8.00 per hour. I thought that was shady for all the work that detailers have to go through.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hell yea it is dude!
I wouldnt ever take a job with that low of pay... Altho out here in AZ minimum wage is like $5.25 an hour...

But still. thats nuts. The dealership detailing job is kinda for (not to offend anyone) the illegals...

I think i would only detail if i had my own setup, and i was either on my own or i just had 1 person working with me...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess the question is...
How much work is there??
If I could pull in 2 full details a day, i would think turn around profit would be pretty good...
And the reason im asking is because in detailing, the overhead is pretty low...
Especially if you are mobile and already own an enclosed trailer and a big ass truck...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm not no pro but I know what i'm doing. It takes me about 4 to 5 hours to do the whole works. Interior, exterior, undercarriage, and engine. So 2 cars a day should be average. Note that everything I do is by hand, not a buffer. I don't know if it takes more time by using a buffer or hand but I would prefer to use my arm. Making average of 500 bucks a day if you have any customer I don't think it will be quite enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DA buffers will save you so much time that you can do 2 coats of wax (for a more even application)

paint cleaning and polishing is much easier because Meguair's products have diminishing abrasives and they break down much faster when you use a machine

i am to scared right now to take the rotary plunge but a PC/G100 will have u lots of time and will save you arms too! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts