Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a y7/z6 vtec swap. The engine starts right up. vtec won't hit. Seems like it dogs when it is supposed to swap cam. Thinking the oil pump. The oil pressure seems a bit loafy. 5-8 psi at idle sometimes seems to drop lower - not always consistant pressure at the same rpm repeatedly (2500 rpm won't have 35 psi every time it revs there) Can't say that the oil pressure sees the 50 psi required for VTEC. Should I be using the Z6 oil pump? Is there anything I should be looking for with the swap - possibly somthing I needed to do? (the block didn't have a restrictor plug in it).
HENRY

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

No lights, no whistles or anything else. When the engine first starts, oil presure goes right up to 60-70 psi and stays there till it warms or more importantly is driven. It slowly goes down. The motor definitely dogs a bit at idle and eventually wants to stall (No oil to critical parts...) unless you rev it a bit and keep pressure up. Just drove it today - no beating or whatnot - mostly light cruising. did a engine flush and checked the oil - it only had about 100 miles on the oil and it had already started turning a light black. no metal or anything in it. Going to drop the pan in the morning and swap in the Z6 pump. The engine seems to run better in the morning and actually has some power until it is driven a little bit..
HENRY

·
Registered
908 Posts
Has it been hot where you live lately? What weight of oil does it have in it? Maybe the oil is too thin to keep adequate pressure when it gets hot, just happened to me a few days ago. Switched from 5w30 to 10w30 since the latest heat wave and the oil pressure was back to normal.

Heavier viscosities, such as 20W-50, straight 30W or 40W, may help maintain good pressure in hot weather but are too thick for cold weather driving and may cause start-up lubrication problems - especially in overhead cam engines.

Light viscosities, on the other hand, such as straight 10W or 5W-20, may improve cold weather starting and lubrication but may be too thin in hot weather driving to maintain good pressure.
Quoted from this site: http://www.autohausaz.com/honda-auto-parts/honda-oil-pressure.html

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Not more than usual. Besides, the oil pressure fluxuates. It could be the same this pull as the last, and then be different the next. Seems like somthing might be plugging up the system.
HENRY :bomb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.